Peter Collins or Pete Collins may refer to:
- Peter B. Collins (born c. 1954), American broadcaster
- Peter Collins (academic) (born 1945), British academic
- Peter Collins (Australian politician) (born 1947), Leader of the Opposition of New South Wales, 1995–1998
- Peter Collins (broadcaster), Irish sportscaster
- Peter Collins (footballer) (born 1948), English footballer
- Peter Collins (organ builder), English pipe organ builder
- Peter Collins (psychiatrist) (born 1953), Canadian forensic psychiatrist
- Peter Collins (racing driver) (1931–1958), English racing driver
- Peter Collins (record producer) (born 1951), English record producer
- Peter Collins (rower) (born 1975), American rower
- Peter Collins (speedway rider) (born 1954), English former speedway rider
- Peter Collins, former racing team manager for the Lotus and Benetton Formula One teams
- Pete Collins (writer), American journalist and author, e.g. of the news series that inspired the film Pain & Gain (2013) and books about the Sun Gym gang
- Pete Collins, fictional character in British soap opera, Emmerdale
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, “Peter Collins” was a circus and theatrical colloquialism in British and American English designating an imaginary or nonexistent person to whom a newcomer or beginner was sent on a silly errand as a kind of initiation (e.g., “Go ask Peter Collins for a left-handed screwdriver”). In underworld slang, it had the additional meaning of “nobody” or “no one.”. In this latter sense, the term was the basis for the pen name “Peter Collinson” (i.e., Peter Collins’s son) used at the very beginning of his writing career by Dashiel Hammett, who later authored The Maltese Falcon and other famous works.
- Eric Partridge, A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English, from the Fifteenth Century to the Present Day, 5th ed. [Macmillan, 1961], s.v. “Peter Collins,” p. 620
- Otto Penzler, Introduction to “Arson Plus” by Peter Colinson, in The Black Lizard Big Book of “Black Mask” Stories, ed. Otto Penzler, Random House Vintage Books, 2010, p. 32
- MysteryNet.com, s.v. Dashiel Hammett, http://www.mysterynet.com/hammett/
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same personal name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.
Note: This page may need to be cleaned up to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Further information might be found on the talk page.