Peter Conrad (academic)
Peter Conrad (b. 1948, Hobart, Tasmania) is an Australian-born academic specialising in English literature, currently teaching at Christ Church at the University of Oxford. He is a fellow of the Royal Society of Literature.
Aftering graduating from the University of Tasmania, Australia in 1968, Conrad went to Oxford University, UK on a Rhodes Scholarship, studying at New College. He became a fellow of All Souls College, from 1970 to 1973 before taking up his current post at Christ Church. There he taught English since 1973, and has been a visiting professor at Princeton University and at Williams College, and a guest lecturer throughout the United States.
He has written a number of works of criticism including a major history of English literature, The Everyman History of English Literature, a cultural history of the twentieth century, two autobiographical works and a novel. He has written books of criticism on Orson Welles and Alfred Hitchcock and has been a prolific writer of features and reviews for many magazines and newspapers including The New York Times, The New Yorker, The Observer, the New Statesman and The Monthly.
- The Victorian Treasure-House, London: Collins, 1973.
- Romantic Opera and Literary Form, Berkeley & Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1977.
- Shandyism: The Character of Romantic Irony, Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1978.
- Imagining America, New York: Oxford University Press, 1980.
- Television: The Medium and its Manners, Boston: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1982.
- The Art of the City: Views and Versions of New York, New York: Oxford University Press, 1984.
- The Everyman History of English Literature, London: J. M. Dent, 1985.
- A Song of Love and Death: The Meaning of Opera, New York: Poseidon Press, 1987 ISBN 0-671-64353-3
- Behind the Mountain: Return to Tasmania, London: Chatto & Windus, 1988.
- Where I Fell to Earth: A Life in Four Cities, New York: Poseidon Press, 1990 ISBN 0-671-68233-4
- Modern Times, Modern Places: Life and Art in the Twentieth Century, Thames & Hudson, 1999 ISBN 978-0-500-28151-2
- At Home in Australia, Thames & Hudson, 2003
- Creation: Artists, Gods & Origins, Thames & Hudson, 2007.
- "Peter Conrad's "Tales of Two Hemispheres" - 2004 Boyer Lectures broadcast in November on Radio National". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 11 January 2004.
- Biography from Christ Church, Oxford site
- Fitzgerald, Michael (13 October 2003). "The View From Abroad". Time.
- Faber & Faber's biography
- "Newsreel History" by Terry Eagleton: Review of Modern Times, Modern Places.
- "Boyer Lecture": Boyer Lectures recorded 2004 Australian Broadcasting Corporation.