Sir Peter Fahy
|Sir Peter during a visit to the University of Salford in 2012|
|Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police|
1 September 2008
|Preceded by||Michael J. Todd|
|Chief Constable of Cheshire Constabulary|
2002 – 31 October 2008
|Succeeded by||Graeme Gerrard (acting)
18 January 1959 |
|Alma mater||University of Hull
University of East Anglia
Before taking up this post at GMP on 1 September 2008, he was the Chief Constable with Cheshire Constabulary, a post he held since 2002. Previous to that he was Assistant Chief Constable at Surrey, and had positions with Hertfordshire and West Midlands forces.
Fahy has previously expressed his frustration at red tape which has been creeping into police forces across the United Kingdom. In July 2011, Fahy commanded his officers to use their common sense and criticised police policies which prevents the police from helping victims or protecting the public in certain cases. In July 2011, Fahy was one of the frontrunners to replace Sir Paul Stephenson as the Metropolitan Police Commissioner but Fahy was lukewarm about taking up such a position.
In July 2013, it was announced that his contract had been extended for a further three years by the Greater Manchester Police Commissioner Tony Lloyd. After 32 years service, Fahy was eligible for retirement and his contract would have ended on 31 August 2013.
Fahy is the Association of Chief police Officers (ACPO) lead of Specials Constabulary.
|Chief Constable of Cheshire Constabulary
Graeme Gerrard (acting)
Michael J. Todd
|Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police
- "FAHY, Sir Peter: Who's Who". Retrieved 13 March 2013..
- "Manchester police chief revealed". BBC News website. 23 July 2008. Retrieved 23 July 2008.
- "Our Structure". ACPO website. Retrieved 23 July 2008.
- "Fahy new Chief Constable". Manchester Evening News website. Retrieved 23 July 2008.
- "Manchester police officers ordered to ditch red tape". BBC. 9 June 2011.
- "GMP boss among favourites for Met job". theboltonnews.co.uk. 5 August 2011.
- "Peter Fahy rules himself out of Met commissioner contest". BBC News. 21 July 2011.
- Williams, Jennifer (17 July 2013). "Sir Peter Fahy to stay on as GMP chief constable for three more years". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Greater Manchester Police chief faces shooting charges". BBC News. 16 January 2014. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Evans, Martin (16 January 2014). "Chief Constable faces health and safety charge over fatal shooting". London: The Telegraph. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- The London Gazette: . 16 June 2012.
- Guardian, The (16 June 2012). "Queen's Birthday Honours List 2012: Knights". The Guardian (London).