|The Rt Revd
PhD MA(Oxon) BD
|Bishop of Chester|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Chester|
|Installed||11 January 1997|
|Consecration||13 November 1996|
16 March 1950 |
Solihull, West Midlands
|Residence||Bishop's House, Chester|
|Parents||Thomas Forster and Edna Russell|
|Spouse||Elisabeth Anne Stevenson (m. 1978)|
|Children||Two sons, two daughters|
|Alma mater||Merton College, Oxford, Edinburgh University|
Born in Solihull, the son of Thomas Forster by his marriage to Edna Russell, Forster was educated at the town's Tudor Grange Grammar School and Merton College, Oxford, where he graduated BA in chemistry, promoted to Master of Arts in 1973. At Edinburgh University, he graduated as a Bachelor of Divinity in theology in 1977 and as a Doctor of Philosophy in 1985.
From 1980 to 1982, Forster was assistant curate of the Mossley Hill Parish Church in Liverpool. He was senior tutor at St John's College, Durham, from 1983 to 1991 and became the vicar of Beverley Minster in 1992. In 1996, he was appointed the 40th Bishop of Chester and in 2001 took his seat as a Lord Spiritual in the House of Lords.
Forster married Elisabeth Anne Stevenson in 1978, and they have two sons and two daughters.
In 2003, Forster raised controversy when he was investigated by the police for an alleged "hate speech" after suggesting that homosexual people should seek psychiatric treatment. However, no charges were made, and the police were satisfied that no offence had been committed.
In 2009 Forster became a trustee of the newly formed Global Warming Policy Foundation, an organisation based in the United Kingdom which questions policy measures envisaged by governments to mitigate global warming.
In 2012, amid controversy over the amount of expenses claimed by bishops for attending the House of Lords, it was revealed that Forster had claimed more than any other bishop in 2010/11. He had claimed £34,909 and had attended on 97 days.
- Peter Forster Esq (1950–1980)
- The Revd Peter Forster (1980–1985)
- The Revd Dr Peter Forster (1985–1996)
- The Rt Revd Dr Peter Forster (1996–present)
- Church of England – Bishop of Chester
- House of Lords (2001-11-14). "Announcement of his introduction at the House of Lords". minutes of proceedings. Retrieved 2006-11-20.
- Daley, Janet. The Daily Telegraph (London) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/11/10/nbish10.xml&sSheet=/portal/2003/11/10/ixportal.html
|url=missing title (help). Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- "No charges for bishop in gay row". BBC News. 2003-11-09. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- Frost's Meditations – Nazir-Ali
- "Board of Trustees". www.thegwpf.org. Retrieved 2009-11-24.
- .Who's Who (ibid)
- "DodOnline". Retrieved 2006-11-20.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Chester