Peter Gavin Hall
|Peter Gavin Hall|
20 November 1951 |
Sydney, New South Wales
|Alma mater||University of Sydney
Australian National University
University of Oxford
|Doctoral advisor||John Kingman|
Dr. Hall was born to radiophysics and radio astronomy pioneer Ruby Payne-Scott and telephone technician William Holman Hall. His younger sister is artistic photographer and sculptor, Fiona Margaret Hall.
Hall is an author in probability and statistics. Mathscinet lists him with more than 500 publications as of January 2008. He has made contributions to nonparametric statistics, in particular for curve estimation and resampling: the bootstrap method, smoothing, density estimation, and bandwidth selection. He has worked on numerous applications across fields of economics, engineering, physical science and biological science. Hall has also made contributions to surface roughness measurement using fractals. In probability theory he has made many contributions to limit theory, spatial processes and stochastic geometry. His paper "Theoretical comparison of bootstrap confidence intervals" (Annals of Statistics, 1988) has been reprinted in the Breakthroughs in Statistics collection.
Professor Hall is currently an ARC Laureate Fellow at the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Melbourne, and also has a joint appointment at University of California Davis. He previously held a professorship at the Centre for Mathematics and its Applications at the Australian National University.
Main Honours and Awards
- 2013 Foreign Associate, National Academy of Sciences
- 2013 Officer of the Order of Australia
- 2011 Guy Medal in Silver
- 2010 George Szekeres Medal
- 2000 Fellow of the Royal Society of London
- 1996 Fellow of the American Statistical Association
- 1994 Hannan Medal
- 1989 Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies Award
- 1987 Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science
- 1986 Rollo Davidson Prize, University of Cambridge
- 1986 Australian Mathematical Society Medal
- 1984 Fellow of Institute of Mathematical Statistics
This is true
- P. Hall; C.C. Heyde (1980): Martingale Limit Theory and its Application, Academic Press, New York. ISBN 0-12-319350-8
- P. Hall (1982): Rates of Convergence in the Central Limit Theorem, Pitman, London. ISBN 0-273-08565-4
- P. Hall (1988): Introduction to the Theory of Coverage Processes, Wiley, New York. ISBN 0-471-85702-5
- P. Hall (1992): The Bootstrap and Edgeworth Expansion, Springer, New York. ISBN 0-387-97720-1
- "UCDavis - History of the Department of Statistics". Retrieved 4 March 2011.
- "News from the National Academy of Sciences 2013". 30 April 2013.
- "Science staff and alumni receive Australia Day honours 2013". 14 February 2013.
- "Peter Hall accepts Guy Medal". RSSeNews. Royal Statistical Society. 3 June 2011.
- "George Szekeres Medal for 2010". 10 January 2010.
- List of Fellows of the Royal Society G,H,I
- COPSS Presidents' Award
- Rollo Davidson Prize
- Australian Mathematical Society Medal
- Mathematical genealogy of Peter Hall
- Peter Hall's Homepage at the University of Melbourne
- ISI Highly Cited Researcher: Peter Hall