Peter Gelderloos is an anarchist and author from Virginia (United States).
Gelderloos was arrested in 2001 while attending a protest at the Georgia-based Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation (formerly known as School of the Americas), a controversial school that trains Central and South American soldiers and police. He was convicted and served the maximum sentence of 6 months in prison.
In How Nonviolence Protects the State Gelderloos sets out to "[debunk] the notion that non-violent activism is the only acceptable and effective method of struggle" and to "defenestrate the stranglehold that [pacifism has on movements]"
In April 2007, Gelderloos was arrested in Spain and charged with public disorder and illegal demonstration during a squatters' protest. He faced between three and six years of imprisonment. Eventually he was acquitted.
In 2010 Gelderloos published Anarchy Works, a comprehensive book explaining basic principles of anarchism and their historic usage. He also published To Get to the Other Side, a narrative of his travels through Europe's anarchist milieus.
- Gelderloos, Peter (2013). The Failure of Nonviolence: From the Arab Spring to Occupy. Seattle: Left Bank Books.
- Gelderloos, Peter (2010). Anarchy Works. San Francisco: Ardent Press.
- Gelderloos, Peter (2010). To Get to the Other Side: a journey through Europe and its anarchist movements. togettotheotherside.org.
- Gelderloos, Peter (2009). Sousa in the Echo Chamber. Homebound Books.
- Gelderloos, Peter (2007). How Nonviolence Protects the State. Boston: South End Press. ISBN 978-0-89608-772-9.
- Gelderloos, Peter (2006). Consensus: A New Handbook for Grassroots Social, Political, and Environmental Groups. Tucson: See Sharp Press. ISBN 1-884365-39-6.
- Gelderloos, Peter (2005). How Nonviolence Protects the State [first edition]. Harrisonburg: Signalfire Press.
- Gelderloos, Peter (2004). What is Democracy?. Tucson: See Sharp Press. ISBN 0-00-005219-1.
- Gelderloos's profile, SOA Watch
- Traven, B. Review: How Nonviolence Protects the State by Peter Gelderloos, CrimethInc.com, 2007-04-06.
- Matthew Barakat US anarchist acquitted in Spain fights deportation, Associated Press 2009-04-28.
- Gelderloos, Peter. Insurrection v.s. Organization: Reflections from Greece on a Pointless Schism. Infoshop.org (April 2007)
- Gelderloos, Peter. My Arrest in Spain: The Easy Road from Tourism to Terrorism. CounterPunch (May 2007).
- Gelderloos, Peter. Arms and the Movement. Utne Reader (June 2007).
- Gelderloos, Peter. A Critical History of Harrisonburg Food Not Bombs
- Gelderloos, Peter. More Wood for the Fire: Capitalist Solutions for Global Warming