|Sir Peter Gluckman|
Gluckman in 2012
|Fields||Paediatrics and perinatal biology|
|Institutions||University of Auckland|
|Alma mater||University of Otago, University of Auckland|
|Known for||Director of Liggins Institute, Chief Science Advisor to the New Zealand Prime Minister|
|Notable awards||KNZM FRS FMedSc FRSNZ|
Born in Auckland, he attended Auckland Grammar School before studying paediatrics and endocrinology at the University of Otago gaining a MBChB in 1971. This was followed by MMedSc in 1976 and a DSc in 1987 from the University of Auckland.
He is the Professor of Paediatric and Perinatal Biology and was the Director of the National Research Centre for Growth and Development (now called 'Gravida: National Centre for Growth and Development'), hosted by the University of Auckland, until mid 2009. He was formerly Head of the Department of Paediatrics and Dean of the university's Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences as well as the founding Director of the Liggins Institute.
In 2007 he was appointed Programme Director for Growth, Development and Metabolism at the Singapore Institute for Clinical Sciences. He also holds honorary chairs at National University of Singapore and the University of Southampton.
Gluckman is a Fellow of the Royal Society of London, an honour bestowed on just 37 New Zealand-born scientists since the Society's establishment in 1660. In 2001, Gluckman received New Zealand’s top science award, the Rutherford Medal.
In 2004 Gluckman was named as the New Zealand Herald New Zealander of the Year, also winning the KEA/NZTE World Class New Zealander Award in 2006.
- Gluckman, Peter; Hanson, Mark (2005), The Fetal Matrix: Evolution, Development and Disease, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-83457-0, retrieved 11 December 2010 Paperback ISBN 0-521-54235-9
- Gluckman, Peter; Hanson, Mark (2006), Mismatch: Why our world no longer fits our bodies, Oxford: Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-280683-1, retrieved 11 December 2010 Alternative ISBN 978-0-19-280683-3
- Gluckman, Peter; Beedle, Alan; Hanson, Mark (2009), Principles of Evolutionary Medicine, Oxford: Oxford University Press, ISBN 978-0-19-923638-1, retrieved 11 December 2010 Paperback ISBN 978-0-19-923639-8
- The Liggins Institute website - Professor Sir Peter Gluckman bio
- NZ Herald article 18 Dec 2004 - "Herald New Zealander of the Year - Dr Peter Gluckman"
- NZ Governor-General Website - Professor Peter Gluckman's Investiture at Government House in Auckland, 16 April 2008