||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (June 2011)|
|Born||May 17, 1940
Vienna, Greater German Reich (present-day Austria)
|Institutions||University of Calgary, Forschungszentrum Jülich|
|Alma mater||University of Vienna|
|Doctoral advisor||Walter Thirring, H. Pietschmann|
Peter Grassberger is a professor well known for his work in statistical and particle physics. He is most famous for his contributions to chaos theory, where he introduced the idea of correlation dimension, a means of measuring a type of fractal dimension of the strange attractor.
His early work focused on particle phenomenology, in particular on the formulation of formally exact equations for three-body scattering and bound state scattering (Alt-Grassberger-Sandhas equation). While working at CERN, he realized that reggeon field theory can be viewed as a contact process in the same universality class as directed percolation. After making this discovery, Grassberger turned his attention to the studies of statistical physics, dynamical systems, sequential sampling algorithms, and complex systems. His publications span a variety of topics including reaction-diffusion systems, cellular automata, fractals, Ising model, Griffiths phases, self-organized criticality, and percolation.
Currently he is a visiting iCORE professor with the Complexity Science Group, University of Calgary, and maintains a joint appointment with the Institute for Biocomplexity & Informatics. Grassberger has also held positions at CERN, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, Weizmann Institute, Los Alamos National Lab, Niels Bohr Institute, Institute of Scientific Interchange, KIAS, and Perimeter Institute. Before coming to Calgary, Grassberger was the head of the Complex Systems Research Group at the John-von-Neumann Institute, Forschungszentrum Jülich.
- Correlation dimension
- Self-organized criticality
- Complex network
- Epidemic models on lattices
- Mutual information
- Forecasting complexity
- Kolmogorov entropy
- P. Grassberger; I. Procaccia (1983). "Measuring the strangeness of strange attractors". Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena 9 (1-2): 189–208. Bibcode:1983PhyD....9..189G. doi:10.1016/0167-2789(83)90298-1.
- P. Grassberger; I. Procaccia (1983). "Characterization of Strange Attractors". Physical Review Letters 50 (5): 346–349. Bibcode:1983PhRvL..50..346G. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.50.346.
- E. O. Alt; P. Grassberger; W. Sandhas (1967). "Reduction of the three-particle collision problem to multi-channel two-particle Lippmann-Schwinger equations". Nuclear Physics B 2 (2): 167–180. Bibcode:1967NuPhB...2..167A. doi:10.1016/0550-3213(67)90016-8.
- P. Grassberger; I. Procaccia (1983). "Estimation of the Kolmogorov entropy from a chaotic signal". Physical Review A 28 (4): 2591–2593. Bibcode:1983PhRvA..28.2591G. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.28.2591.
- P. Grassberger (1983). "Generalized dimensions of strange attractors". Physics Letters A 97 (6): 227–230. Bibcode:1983PhLA...97..227G. doi:10.1016/0375-9601(83)90753-3.
- P. Grassberger; I. Procaccia (1984). "Dimensions and entropies of strange attractors from a fluctuating dynamics approach". Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena 13 (1-2): 34–54. Bibcode:1984PhyD...13...34G. doi:10.1016/0167-2789(84)90269-0.
- P. Grassberger; A. de la Torre (1979). "Reggeon field theory (Schlögl's first model) on a lattice: Monte Carlo calculations of critical behaviour". Annals of Physics 122 (2): 373–396. Bibcode:1979AnPhy.122..373G. doi:10.1016/0003-4916(79)90207-0.
- P. Grassberger; R. Badii, A. Politi (1988). "Scaling laws for invariant measures on hyperbolic and nonhyperbolic atractors". Journal of Statistical Physics 51 (1-2): 135–178. Bibcode:1988JSP....51..135G. doi:10.1007/BF01015324.
- P. Grassberger (1982). "On phase transitions in Schlögl's second model". Zeitschrift für Physik B 47 (4): 365–374. Bibcode:1982ZPhyB..47..365G. doi:10.1007/BF01313803.
- P. Grassberger; I. Procaccia (1982). "The long time properties of diffusion in a medium with static traps". J. Chem. Phys. 77 (12): 6281–6284. Bibcode:1982JChPh..77.6281G. doi:10.1063/1.443832.
- J.G. Foster; D.V. Foster, P. Grassberger, M. Paczuski (2009). "Edge Direction and the Structure of Networks". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107 (24): 10815–10820. arXiv:0908.4288. Bibcode:2010PNAS..10710815F. doi:10.1073/pnas.0912671107.
|This article about an Austrian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|