Peter Graves, 8th Baron Graves
Peter George Wellesley Graves, 8th Baron Graves (21 October 1911 — 6 June 1994), was an English actor.
Known during his acting career as Peter Graves, he specialised in light comedies and musicals, often cast as dapper young men about town. His career peaked in the mid to late 1940s, beginning with the films of director/writer Val Guest, including Miss London Ltd (1943) and Bees in Paradise (1944), opposite Arthur Askey; and Give Us the Moon (1944) and I'll Be Your Sweetheart (1945), opposite Margaret Lockwood. Other roles included the lead in Spring Song (1946), and George IV in both The Laughing Lady (1946) and Mrs. Fitzherbert (1947).
He also appeared in a number of films by Herbert Wilcox, such as popular musicals Spring in Park Lane (1948) and Maytime in Mayfair (1949), both vehicles for Anna Neagle and Michael Wilding. He also essayed another royal, Prince Albert in Wilcox's The Lady with the Lamp (1951) and Lilacs in the Spring (1954).
He re-emerged in the 1960s as a popular comic supporting player in number of films, including Alfie (1966); The Wrong Box (1966); The Jokers (1967); I'll Never Forget What's'isname (1967); and The Magic Christian (1969). Kept acting until a few years before his death, mostly on television.
He married Winifred Ruby Moule on 28 May 1960. She died in 1992. The union had been childless and he died without an heir on June 6, 1994 in France of a heart attack. He was succeeded in the barony by his second cousin Evelyn Paget Graves.
- Kipps (1941)
- King Arthur Was a Gentleman (1942)
- Bees in Paradise (1944)
- I'll Be Your Sweetheart (1945)
- Waltz Time (1945)
- The Laughing Lady (1946)
- Spring Song (1946)
- Derby Day (1952)
- The Admirable Crichton (1957)
- Alfie (1966)
- The Wrong Box (1966)
- The Jokers (1967)
- I'll Never Forget What's'isname (1967)
- How I Won the War (1967)
- The Assassination Bureau (1968)
- The Magic Christian (1969)
- The Adventurers (1970)
- Paul and Michelle (1974)
- The Slipper and the Rose (1976)
- I Hired a Contract Killer (1990)
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
|Peerage of Ireland|
Henry Algernon Claude Graves
|Baron Graves||Succeeded by
Evelyn Paget Graves