Peter Gray (chemist)
August 25, 1926|
|Died||June 7, 2012(aged 85)|
|Institutions||University of Cambridge, University of Leeds|
|Alma mater||Gonville and Caius College, University of Cambridge|
|Notable awards||Italgas Prize (1988)
Bernard Lewis Gold Medal (1978)
Marlow Medal (1958)
Meldola Medal (1956) etc.
|Spouse||Barbara Gray (died 1992),
Professor Peter Gray MA PhD Sc.D FRS (born August 25, 1926 - died June 7, 2012 (aged 85)) was Professor of Physical Chemistry at the University of Leeds and subsequently Master of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge.
In 1955 Gray was appointed a Lecturer in Chemistry at the University of Leeds. He was promoted to Reader in 1959 and to a personal chair as Professor of Physical Chemistry in 1962. He became Head of the Department of Physical Chemistry on the resignation of Lord Dainton in 1965. His research interests included combustion flame and explosion oscillatory reactions and chaos in chemistry.
Gray left Leeds when he was elected Master of his old college Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge in 1988. He remained Master until 1996 and was then a Life Fellow of the college until his death in 2012.
Professor Gray’s career was garlanded with many academic honours, including election as a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 1977. Gray was awarded an Honorary DSc by the University of Leeds in 1997.
With his first wife, Barbara (who was a Lecturer in Biochemistry at the University of Leeds), Gray had four children; Christine, Andrew, David and Sally. Following her death in 1992 Gray married his second wife, Rachel, who survived him. His interests included music, hill walking and classical Russian science and maths.
Sir William Wade
|Master of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge
|Head of the Department of Physical Chemistry, University of Leeds
- Gray, P. & Scott, S. K. (12 May 1994), Chemical Oscillations and Instabilities Non-linear Chemical Kinetics, Clarendon Press
- Chris Elliott . Much-loved former college master dies. Cambridge News. 16/06/2012
- Professor Stephen Scott. Professor Peter Gray, DSc, FRSC, FRS. www.leeds.ac.uk/secretariat/obituaries/
- John Griffiths. COMBUSTION PEOPLE Professor Peter Gray, FRS: 80 this year!
- Gray, Peter — Natural Sciences (Physical). cai.cam.ac.uk
- University of Leeds, Obituary
- Professor Peter Gray leeds.ac.uk news article. 15 June 2012.