Peter Harper (geneticist)
|Peter S Harper
University of Wales College of Medicine
UK Human Genetics Commission
Advisory Committee on Genetic testing
Nuffield Council on Bioethics
|Known for||Work on Muscular Dystrophy and Huntington's Disease|
Sir Peter S. Harper, CBE (born 1939) is University Research Professor (Emeritus) in Human Genetics at Cardiff University. His work has focused on researching neurogenetics and has resulted in important discoveries concerning muscular dystrophies and Huntington's disease. He was knighted in 2004 for services to medicine.
Until 2004 Sir Peter was Professor of Medical Genetics at the University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff. He helped to develop the Wales Medical Genetics Service and has been a member of the UK Human Genetics Commission and Advisory Committee on Genetic testing. He was a member of the Nuffield Council on Bioethics 2004-2010. As a consultant to the History of Modern Biomedicine Research Group, he has contributed to several oral histories which address recent developments in clinical genetics in the UK.  
Honours and Awards
Sir Peter married Elaine, a district nurse, and the couple have five children.
- Practical Genetic Counselling, 1998 Hodder Arnold
- Myotonic Dystrophy: The Facts, 2002
- Landmarks in Medical Genetics, 2004 OUP
- First Years of Human Chromosomes, 2006 Scion Press
- A Short History of Medical Genetics, 2008. OUP
- Harper P S, Reynolds L A and Tansey E M, ed. (2010). Clinical genetics in Britain: origins and development : the transcript of a Witness Seminar held by the Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine at UCL, London, on 23 September 2008 (Wellcome Witnesses to Contemporary Medicine, vol. 39 ed.). London: Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine at UCL. ISBN 9780854841271.
- Jones E M and Tansey E M, ed. (2013). Clinical Cancer Genetics: Polyposis and familial colorectal cancer c.1975-c.2010 (Wellcome Witnesses to Contemporary Medicine, vol. 46. ed.). UK: Queen Mary, University of London.
- Jones E M and Tansey E M, ed. (2014). Clinical Molecular Genetics in the UK c. 1975-c.2000 (Wellcome Witnesses to Contemporary Medicine, vol. 48 ed.). UK: Queen Mary, University of London.
|This United Kingdom biographical article related to medicine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|