Peter Hill (pianist)
Hill was acquainted with French composer Olivier Messiaen, and has written a book about him. As well as playing the complete works of Messiaen, he is also known for his performances of other 20th-century piano repertoire.
Having read music at Oxford then continued his studies at the Royal College of Music, both with Cyril Smith, he is now an Emeritus Professor of Music at the University of Sheffield. He is a Fellow of the Royal Northern College of Music.
In November 2013 he gave the world premiere of Messiaen's piano piece "La Fauvette Passerinette", which he discovered and edited for performance.
- Hill, Peter (1994). The Messiaen Companion.
- Hill, Peter (2000). Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-62714-1.
- Hill, Peter; Simeone, Nigel (2005). Messiaen. Yale University Press. ISBN 978-0-300-10907-8.
- Hill's recordings of Messiaen's piano music, made under the guidance of the composer, for Unicorn-Kanchana, are now available on the Regis label.
- Hill, Peter (2005-11-04). "Pianist Peter Hill looks at composer Olivier Messiaen". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- "Pianist Peter Hill on Messiaen’s Birds". The Boston Musical Intelligencer. 2011-10-13. Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- "Peter Hill". Naxos Records. Retrieved 23 November 2011.
- "Fellows and Honorary Members". Royal Northern College of Music.
|This article on a British classical pianist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|