Peter Bingham Hinchliff (25 February 1929 - 17 October 1995) was a South African Anglican priest and academic. He was the Regius Professor of Ecclesiastical History at the University of Oxford from 1992 to 1995.
Hinchliff was born in South Africa on 25 February 1929 to an Anglican priest who had moved to the country in 1914. He studied at Rhodes University, before moving to England. There he matriculated into Trinity College, Oxford, where he studied theology under Austin Farrer. Returning to South Africa, he attended St Paul’s Theological College, Grahamstown before his ordination.
Hinchliff was ordained deacon 1952 and priest in 1953. His first posting was as a curate in Uitenhage, Eastern Cape Province. From 1955 to 1959, he was sub-warden of his alma mater, St Paul's College, Grahamstown. In 1964, he was appointed a Canon and Chancellor of Grahamstown Cathedral.
In 1974, it was suggested that he was a candidate for the position of Archbishop of Cape Town, however Bill Burnett was eventually appointed. In January 1992, he was appointed a Canon of Christ Church Cathedral.
From 1957 to 1959, Hinchliff was a Lecturer in Comparative Religion at Rhodes University. In 1960, he was appointed Professor of Ecclesiastical History. He resigned the position in 1969 in protest against apartheid that had worsened with the passing of the Separate Representation of Voters Amendment Act, 1968.
- Peter Hinchliff (1964). Bishop of Natal. Nelson.
- Peter Bingham Hinchliff (1964). John William Colenso: Bishop of Natal. Nelson.
- Peter Hinchliff (1971). The Journal of John Ayliff: 1 : 1821-1830. A.A. Balkema.
- Peter Bingham Hinchliff (1987). Benjamin Jowett and the Christian Religion. Clarendon Press. ISBN 978-0-19-826688-4.
- Peter Hinchliff (1995). Cathedrals and Society: A Theological Appraisal.
- Peter Hinchliff. "Holiness and Politics". ThirdWay. 6 (3). Hymns Ancient & Modern Ltd.
- Hinchliff, Peter (2009). "Frederick Temple, Randall Davidson and the Coronation of Edward VII". The Journal of Ecclesiastical History 48 (01): 71. doi:10.1017/S0022046900011982. ISSN 0022-0469.
- Hinchliff, Peter (2011). "Ethics, Evolution and Biblical Criticism in the Thought of Benjamin Jowett and John William Colenso". The Journal of Ecclesiastical History 37 (01): 91–110. doi:10.1017/S0022046900031924. ISSN 0022-0469.
- Hinchliff, Peter (2011). "John William Colenso: a Fresh Appraisal". The Journal of Ecclesiastical History 13 (02): 203–216. doi:10.1017/S0022046900068342. ISSN 0022-0469.
- Hinchliff, P. (1990). "Book Review: A Black Future?: Jesus and Salvation in South Africa". Theology 93 (756): 493–494. doi:10.1177/0040571X9009300625. ISSN 0040-571X.
- "The Rev Professor Peter Hinchliff; Obituary". The Times. 24 October 1995. p. 21.
- Morgan, Robert (21 October 1995). "Obituary: The Rev Professor Peter Hinchliff". The Independent. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "The Times Diary: Contender". The Times (59077). 30 April 1974. p. 16.
- "University news". The Times. 8 January 1992. p. 14.
- "Stand against tyranny: Obituary of Peter Hinchliff". The Guardian. 17 November 1995. p. 19.