Peter I, Count of Savoy
|Peter I, Count of Savoy and Margrave of Turin|
|Spouse(s)||Agnes of Aquitaine|
|Noble family||House of Savoy|
|Father||Otto I, Count of Savoy|
|Mother||Adelaide of Susa|
Peter I (c. 1048 – 9 August 1078) was count of Savoy and margrave of Turin jointly with his brother Amadeus II of Savoy from c. 1060 to 1078. He ruled only nominally, as true power was in the hands of his mother, Adelaide of Susa.
Peter presided over court hearings alongside Adelaide and also issued several donation charters with her and his brothers Amadeus II of Savoy and Otto. Shortly before his death, Peter united with Bishop Cunibert of Turin in an attempt to drive Abbot Benedict II from his abbey of San Michele della Chiusa.
- Agnes (d.after 1110), who married Frederick of Montbéliard in 1080. After marrying Agnes, Frederick became margrave of Turin (r.1080-1091).
- Alice (d.ca 1111), who may have married Margrave Boniface of Vasto and Saluzzo in 1099
- C.W. Previté-Orton, The Early History of the House of Savoy (1000-1233) (Cambridge, 1912), accessible online at: archive.org
- S. Hellmann, Die Grafen von Savoyen und das Reich: bis zum Ende der staufischen Periode (Innsbruck, 1900), accessible online (but without page numbers) at: Genealogie Mittelalter
- A.M. Patrone, ‘Agnes di Poitiers,’ in “Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani” – Volume 1 (1960)
- Peter I, Graf von Savoyen (1059-1078)
- Cawley, Charles, Medieval Lands Project on Peter of Savoy, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, retrieved August 2012
- Cawley, Charles, Medieval Lands Project on Agnes of Aquitaine, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, retrieved August 2012
- Previté-Orton, Early History, p. 205 (birthdate), p. 241 (deathdate)
- Previté-Orton, Early History, pp. 240f.; Hellmann, Grafen, pp. 19ff.
- Previté-Orton, Early History, pp. 205, 231; Patrone, ‘Agnese’
- Previté-Orton, Early History, p. 244; Hellmann, Grafen, pp. 25f.
Peter I, Count of SavoyBorn: c. 1048 Died: 9 August 1078
|Count of Savoy
With: Amadeus II
|Margrave of Turin
Frederick of Montbéliard
|This biography of an Italian noble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Italian history article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|