Peter Jonas (director)
Jonas studied at Worth School, and took an English Literature degree at the University of Sussex. He later studied History of Music at Royal Northern College of Music Manchester, and the Royal College of Music London, with a final semester at Eastman School of Music, University of Rochester USA.
In 1974, Jonas became the assistant to Sir George Solti, the Music Director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, becoming the orchestra’s Artistic Administrator in 1976, and, in 1977, the Director of Artistic Administration of the Chicago Orchestral Association. Returning to England, he took over the management of the English National Opera, holding the position from 1985 to 1993, succeeding Lord Harewood. He later became a patron of The Solti Foundation.
He was awarded an honorary doctorate of music from the University of Sussex in 1993. In September that year, Munich’s Bavarian State Opera invited Jonas to become its Staatsintendant (General and Artistic Director); he held this position until 2006. While there he extended the company’s repertoire within baroque opera, promoted its opera for all project and supported contemporary composers by introducing fourteen new-work premieres. He was awarded the Bayerische Verfassungsmedaille in 2001.
Jonas became a faculty member and lecturer at the University of St. Gallen in 2003, a lecturer at the University of Zürich, and a visiting lecturer for the Bavarian Theatre Academy Munich in 2004. He was the first chairman of the German Speaking Opera Intendants (Directors) Conference from 2001 to 2005, and a judging panel member for the 2006 International Wagner Competition, Seattle.
Trusteeships, board or council memberships
- National Opera Studio (1985–93);
- Association Internationale de Directeurs de L'Opera (1985–2006);
- Royal College of Music (1988–95);
- London Lighthouse (1990–92)
- Kuratorium Richard Stauss Gesellschaft (1993–2009);
- Deutsche Bühnenverein (1993–2006);
- Advisory Board of the Bayerische Vereinsbank (1994);
- Hypovereinsbank Munich (1994–2004);
- Bayerische Rundfunk (Bavarian Radio and TV 1999);
- Bavarian Academy of Fine Arts (2005);
- Berlin State Opera and Ballet companies (2005);
- Carl Linde Academy Technical University Munich (2006);
- Netherlands Opera Amsterdam (2009);
- University of Lucerne Switzerland (2009).
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts;
- Fellow of the Royal College of Music (1989);
- Commander of the British Empire (1991) for services to Opera;
- Fellow of the Royal Northern College of Music (2000);
- Bavarian Constitution Medal (2001);
- Kultureller Ehrenpreis der Landeshauptstadt München (Munich State Medal 2003);
- Karl Valentin Order of Merit (2006);
- Bayerischer Maximilians-Orden für Wissenschaft und Kunst (Bavarian Maximilian Order for Science and Art 2008)
- Powerhouse, The English National Opera Experience (1993);
- Eliten und Demokratie (1999);
- Wenn Musik der Liebe Nahrung ist, spielt weiter... (2006).
- Jonas and the ENO “over-title” debacle The Guardian 8 June 2005. Retrieved 09 Sept 2010.
- ECM label Awards Retrieved 09 Sept 2010.
- Peter Jonas German Wikipedia article
- Portrait of Peter Jonas by Charlotte Harris Retrieved 09 Sept 2010.
- Peter Jonas Sleeve notes for Axel Wolf: Johann Adolph Hasse: Opera for Lute Retrieved 09 Sept 2010.
- ENO, our gateway to Opera The Times Literary Supplement 30 Dec 2009. Retrieved 09 Sept 2010.
- Guardian interview 28 July 2006. Retrieved 09 Sept 2010.
- German British Forum. Retrieved 09 Sept 2010.
- International Wagner Competition. Retrieved 09 Sept 2010.
- Biography at Bayerische Staatsoper. Retrieved 06 Jan 2011.