Peter Jones (admiral)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
|Peter David Jones|
|Service/branch||Royal Australian Navy|
|Years of service||1974 –|
|Commands held||Chief Capability Development Group
Australian Surface Task Group
|Awards||Officer of the Order of Australia
Distinguished Service Cross
Legionnaire of the Legion of Merit (United States)
Jones joined the Royal Australian Navy as a midshipman in 1974. He is qualified as a surface warfare specialist.
During Jones's career he has commanded HMAS Melbourne (for which he was made a Member of the Order of Australia), the RAN Task Group in the Persian Gulf and the multinational Maritime Interception Force (MIF) (for which he was awarded a Distinguished Service Cross and a US Legion of Merit). He has also served as the Maritime Interception Operations Screen Commander for the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Commander Australian Surface Task Group, Commander Australian Navy Systems Command, Head of ICT Operations/Strategic J6 and Head Capability Systems.
Jones was promoted to the rank of vice admiral and appointed to the position of Chief Capability Development Group in late November 2011, making him at that time the second most senior officer in the RAN behind Vice Admiral Ray Griggs (Chief of Navy).
Jones was advanced to an Officer of the Order of Australia in the 2012 Queen's Birthday Honours list, "For distinguished service as Head Information and Communications Technology Operations and Head Capability Systems in the Capability Development Group".
Honours and awards
|Officer of the Order of Australia (AO)||June 2012|
|Member of the Order of Australia (AM)||10 June 2002|
|Distinguished Service Cross (DSC)||27 November 2003|
|Australian Active Service Medal|
|Australian Service Medal|
|Defence Force Service Medal with Federation Star||for 40 plus years of service|
|Australian Defence Medal|
|Legionnaire of the Legion of Merit||(United States)|
|Meritorious Unit Citation with Federation Star|
Jones has also been awarded:
- the RAN's "Principal Warfare Officer Badge",
- the RAN's "Sea Readiness Badge" with silver star,
- the "Silver Navy Commendation",
- the "Maritime Commander Australia Commendation", and
- the Canadian "Chief of Maritime Staff Commendation".
- Singh 2010
- Officer of the Order of Australia, 2012
- Member of the Order of Australia, 10 June 2002, For exceptional service to the Royal Australian Navy, particularly as Commanding Officer HMAS MELBOURNE and Director of Naval Strategy and Futures.
- Distinguished Service Cross (Australian), 27 November 2003, For distinguished command and leadership as the Commander of Task Group 633.1 and the Coalition Maritime Interception Force during Operation FALCONER.
- Singh, Shivani (2010). Who's Who in Australia 2010. Melbourne, Australia: Crown Content. ISBN 1-74095-172-7.
Air Marshal John Harvey
|Chief Capability Development Group
2011 – present