Peter Kellner, September 2009
|Born||Peter Jon Kellner
2 October 1946
Peter Jon Kellner (born 2 October 1946) is a journalist, political commentator and President of the YouGov opinion polling organisation in the United Kingdom. He is known for his appearances on TV, especially at election times.
He was born in Lewes, educated at Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School, Cricklewood (and later Elstree), Minchenden Grammar School, Southgate, north London, and the Royal Grammar School, Newcastle upon Tyne, and has an MA in Economics and Statistics from King's College, Cambridge.
Formerly the political analyst of the BBC Newsnight current affairs programme, Kellner was engaged by YouGov's founders, Stephan Shakespeare and Nadhim Zahawi, in December 2001. When YouGov floated for £18 million in April 2005, Kellner owned 6% of the company. He has been President of YouGov since 2007, and was its Chairman from 2001–2007.
He has also been a visiting fellow at Nuffield College, Oxford, and the Institute for Policy Studies, London and has advised several large corporations. He is the chairman of the Royal Commonwealth Society. Kellner is a trustee of Action on Smoking and Health UK.
In 2011, he received a Special Recognition Award from the Political Studies Association in recognition of his achievements in "bringing polling and intelligent use of numbers and figures to election coverage".
He is married to Catherine Ashton, Baroness Ashton of Upholland, a Labour Party politician and the first High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. They have two children. Kellner has three other children.
- 1976. Callaghan: The Road to Number 10, (with Christopher Hitchens), Cassell, ISBN 978-0-304-29768-9
- 1980 The Civil Servants: an Inquiry into Britain's Ruling Class (with Lord Crowther-Hunt)
- 2009 Democracy: 1,000 Years in Pursuit of British Liberty Mainstream, ISBN 978-1-84596-506-8
- Interview: Peter Kellner, YouGov (Evening Standard), David Rowan, 20 April 2005
- Who's who
- Peter Kellner's Column, YouGov
- Lundy, Darryl (9 May 2006). "Person Page – 12633". thepeerage.com. Retrieved 22 October 2008.[unreliable source]
- Marriages and Births England and Wales 1984-2006