||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
Peter J. Leithart (born 1959) is an American author, minister, theologian and Senior Fellow of Theology and Literature as well as Dean of Graduate Studies at New Saint Andrews College and holds a doctorate from Cambridge University. He was selected by the Association of Reformed Institutions of Higher Education to be one of the organization's 2010-2012 Lecturers. He is the author of commentaries on the Book of Kings and the Book of Samuel, as well as a Survey of the Old Testament. Other works include books on topics such as Dante's Inferno, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen. He is also the author of a book of children's bedtime stories titled Wise Words based on the Book of Proverbs.
- Ph.D. - University of Cambridge (1998)
- Master of Theology - Westminster Theological Seminary (1987)
- Master of Arts in Religion - Westminster Theological Seminary (1986)
- A.B. in English and History - Hillsdale College (1981)
In June 2011, Leithart was tried by his presbytery for heresy and in October was exonerated on all charges.
Peter Leithart and his wife have ten children.
- "Between Babel and Beast: America and Empires in Biblical Perspective" (Cascade, 2012). Part of a new Theopolitical Visions series.
- "Athanasius" (Baker Academic, 2011)
- Along with John Barach, Peter J. Leithart edits "The Glory of Kings: A Festschrift in Honor of James B. Jordan. (Wipf & Stock, 2011)
- "Fyodor Dostoevsky" (Thomas Nelson, 2011). One of Peter J. Leithart's contributions to Thomas Nelson's Christian Encounters Series.
- "Jane Austen" (Thomas Nelson, 2010). One of Peter J. Leithart's contributions to Thomas Nelson's Christian Encounters Series.
- "The Four: A Survey of the Gospels" (2010)
- "Defending Constantine: The Twilight of an Empire and the Dawn of Christendom" (IVP Academic, 2010)
- Writer of Fancy: The Playful Piety of Jane Austen (forthcoming)
- The Epistles of John Through New Eyes: From Behind the Veil, Peter J. Leithart's commentary on 1 - 3 John is the latest entry in The Through New Eyes Bible Commentary Series. John, in his epistles, is continuing themes that he began to write about in his gospel, but which now have heightened in intensity and urgency as 70 AD approaches. In this verse-by-verse commentary, Dr. Leithart expounds John's inspired instructions to Christians living at the end of an age, to whom God himself has drawn near and revealed himself in Jesus Christ.
- Deep Exegesis: The Mystery of Reading Scripture (2009), Baylor University Press.
- Solomon Among Postmoderns (2007)
- The Baptized Body (2007)
- Deep Comedy: Trinity, Tragedy, & Hope In Western Literature (2006)
- 1 & 2 Kings (2006) in the Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible series.
- A Great Mystery: Fourteen Wedding Sermons (2006)
- The Promise Of His Appearing: An Exposition Of Second Peter (2004)
- Miniatures and Morals: The Christian Novels of Jane Austen (2004)
- Against Christianity (2003)
- From Silence to Song: The Davidic Liturgical Revolution (2003)
- The Priesthood of the Plebs: A Theology of Baptism (2003)
- A Son to Me (2003)
- Ascent to Love: A Guide to Dante's Divine Comedy (2001)
- Blessed Are the Hungry: Meditations on the Lord's Supper (2000)
- A House for My Name: A Survey of the Old Testament (2000)
- Heroes Of The City Of Man (1999)
- Brightest Heaven of Invention: A Christian Guide To Six Shakespeare Plays (1996)
- Wise Words: Family Stories That Bring the Proverbs to Life (1995)
- The Kingdom and the Power: Rediscovering the Centrality of the Church (1993)
- Clean Air: A Citizen's Handbook for Media Accountability with George Grant, (1990)
- In Defense of Greatness: How Biblical Character Shapes A Nation's Destiny with George Grant, (1990)
- The Walls Came Tumbling Down: The Fall of Communism in Our Time with George Grant, (1990)
- The Reduction of Christianity with Gary DeMar (1988)
- The Catechism of the New Age: A Response to Dungeons and Dragons (1987), with George Grant (1987)
- "Lectures". Association of Reformed Colleges and Universities.
- "PCA’s Pacific Northwest Presbytery Finds TE Peter Leithart Not Guilty of Federal Vision Charges". The Aquila Report.
- "Faculty". New Saint Andrews College.