Peter Levine (venture capitalist)
|Alma mater||Boston University|
|Employer||General Partner at Andreessen Horowitz|
Peter Levine is a general partner at the Silicon Valley venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz and the former Senior Vice President of Strategy at Citrix Systems. Levine joined Citrix in 2007 through its $500 million acquisition of Xensource, where he served as President and CEO. Levine has taught marketing and sales at the MIT Sloan School of Management and currently teaches at the Stanford Graduate School of Business. He has a B.S. in Engineering from Boston University and attended the MIT Sloan School of Management.
At Andreessen Horowitz, Levine leads the firm’s investments in enterprise software including data center infrastructure, enterprise applications and mobile computing. He serves on the board of directors for enterprise companies including Bromium, Actifio, Mixpanel, and GitHub, which is Andreessen Horowitz’s single largest investment to date.
Prior to Xensource, Levine was a general partner at Mayfield Fund. He was an early employee of VERITAS Software Corp., beginning his career as a software engineer. During his 11 years there, he was credited with helping the company grow from about 20 employees to more than 6,000 and to over $1.5 billion in annual revenues. Among his duties, Levine was responsible for worldwide marketing, business development, OEM sales, M&A and the VERITAS venture fund. When he left VERITAS in 2001, his position was Executive Vice President of Strategic and Platform Operations. Symantec acquired the company in 2005.
In April 2012, Levine along with Andreessen Horowitz General Partners Marc Andreessen, Ben Horowitz, Jeff Jordan, John O’Farrell and Scott Weiss pledged to give half of their lifetime income from venture capital to charity.
- "Peter Levine". Faculty Profiles. Stanford Graduate School of Business. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Peter Levine". CrunchBase. TechCrunch. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Tam, Pui-Wing (21 March 2011). "Andreessen Horowitz Bulks Up Further". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Wauters, Robin (5 December 2011). "Virtualization Data Management Startup Raises $33.5M From Andreessen Horowitz, Others". TechCrunch. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Ha, Anthony (10 May 2012). "Mixpanel Raises $10.25M Led By Andreessen Horowitz, Now Provides Analytics For Viddy And Path". TechCrunch. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Kern, Eliza (9 July 2012). "GitHub finally raises funding: $100M from Andreessen Horowitz". GigaOM. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "About Peter Levine". Bio. a16z.com. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- Swartz, Jon (16 December 2004). "Symantec to acquire Veritas for $13.5B". USA Today. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- McBride, Sarah. "Andreessen Horowitz partners pledge income to charity". Reuters. Retrieved 3 August 2012.