Peter Lloyd (ABC correspondent)
Peter Lloyd (born 1966) is a journalist and senior producer for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's news and current affairs program Lateline. Lloyd previously was the ABC's South Asia correspondent where, based in New Delhi, he reported for the Australian national broadcaster across all national and international radio and television news and current affairs programs.
Ten months after his release in mid-2009, Lloyd was re-hired by the ABC for his current Lateline role.
Educated at St Gregory's College in Campbelltown, he graduated as Dux, or top of his class, before going on to earn a Bachelors Degree in Journalism at Charles Sturt University (then Mitchell College of Advanced Education) in Bathurst in the central-west of New South Wales.
Twice nominated for national awards, Lloyd covered news and events that happen in India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Bhutan and Bangladesh. Between 2002 and mid-2006, Peter Lloyd was based in Bangkok in Thailand covering the South East Asia region for the ABC. Reporting across the ten ASEAN states, Lloyd earned praise for distinguished reporting of the repeat Bali bombings and tsunami disaster.
On 18 July 2008, Lloyd was arrested in Singapore and the local police charged him with drug-related offences. Police had alleged that Lloyd was found in possession of a small quantity of the drug 'ice', one improvised smoking pipe, and six syringes. The Singaporean police said that his urine tested positive for amphetamines and he was being investigated for trafficking a controlled drug. Lloyd was released on bail of SGD 60 000, posted by his lover Mohamed Mazlee bin Abdul Malik.
In November 2008, Singapore's Attorney-General dropped the harsher trafficking charge against Lloyd, leaving him to face four lesser charges.
Lloyd returned to work for the ABC as a senior journalist on Lateline in April 2010.
- "Drug-charge reporter returns to ABC fold for Lateline post". The Australian. 12 April 2010. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Smiles, Sarah; Ricketson, Matthew and Arup, Tom (19 July 2008). "ABC correspondent on Singapore drug charges". The Sydney Morning Herald (Melbourne). Retrieved 19 July 2008.
- "ABC correspondent facing drug charges in Singapore". ABC Online. 18 July 2008. Retrieved 18 July 2008.
- Davies, Lisa (27 July 2008). "Lloyd's saviour was gay lover". The Sunday Telegraph. Retrieved 1 September 2008.
- "Lloyd drug trafficking charge dropped". The Sydney Morning Herald. 4 November 2008. Retrieved 4 November 2008.
- "Lloyd sentenced to 10 months jail". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2 December 2008. Retrieved 2 December 2008.
- "Ex-ABC correspondent Lloyd released". ABC Online. 23 June 2009. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "Inside Story". Allen and Unwin. Retrieved 6 November 2010.
- John Davidson and Charlene Fang (2010-11-05). "Peter Lloyd: Journo jailbird reveals all after six months behind bars". CNNGo. Retrieved 6 November 2010.