Peter Lougheed Provincial Park
|Peter Lougheed Provincial Park|
Upper Kananaskis Lake in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park
|Location||Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada|
|Nearest city||Calgary, Canmore|
|Area||304 square kilometres (117 sq mi)|
|Established||September 22, 1977|
|Governing body||Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation|
The park is named after Peter Lougheed who served as premier of Alberta from 1971 to 1985. The park was once known as Kananaskis Provincial Park.
The park was dedicated on September 22, 1977. It is one of the largest provincial parks in Alberta, encompassing 304 square kilometres (117 sq mi) around the Kananaskis Lakes. The park provides amenities for camping and fishing along with trails for hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding and cross-country skiing. There are currently six vehicular access campgrounds and six backcountry campgrounds in the park.
Some of the most popular backpacking trips in Kananaskis are found in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park. The Northover Ridge is a three to four-day backpacking trip, as is the North and South Kananaskis Pass.
The following activities are available in the park:
- Camping and backcountry camping (May to August, permit required)
- Canoeing, kayaking, power boating, sailing, windsurfing
- Cross-country skiing (on Boulton Creek, Elk Pass, Little Highwood, Highwood Meadows, Hydroline, Lodgepole, Lookout, Pocaterra, Ptarmigan Cirque, Rolly Road, Upper Kananaskis Lake, Wheeler and Whiskeyjack trails)
- Fishing and ice fishing
- Front country hiking (trails include Black Prince Cirque, Boulton Creek, Burstall Pass, "Canadian Mt. Everest Expedition", Chester Lake, Elbow Lake, Elk Pass, Hydroline, Kananaskis Canyon, Lodgepole, Lookout, Lower Kananaskis Lake, Marl Lake, Maude-Lawson Lakes, Pocaterra, Ptarmigan Cirque, Rawson Lake, Rock Glacier, Rolly Road, Smith-Dorien, Three Isle Lake and Upper Kananaskis Lake trails)
- Mountain biking (on Burstall Pass, Chester Lake, Elbow Lake trail, Elk Pass, Hydroline, Lookout, Pocaterra, Rolly Road, Smith-Dorien, Three Isle Lake, Wheeler and Whiskeyjack trails)
- Horseback riding (on Elbow Lake trail)
- Alberta Tourism, Parks, Recreation & Culture. "Activities in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park". Retrieved 2007-07-22.
- Alberta Tourism, Parks, Recreation & Culture. "Peter Lougheed Provincial Park". Retrieved 2007-07-22.
- Park page at Alberta Government - Community Development site
- Hiking Trails In Peter Lougheed Provincial Park