||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
Peter Malick (born November 28, 1951, Brookline, Massachusetts) is an American, Los Angeles based musician and record producer, known for his work with blues musicians and for early collaborations with Norah Jones.
In the late 1960s Malick was a member of the band Listening. Listening was signed by Vanguard Records in New York when Malick was aged sixteen. His talent as a blues guitarist landed him a gig with blues pianist Otis Spann, who invited Malick to live with his family in Chicago. Over the years, Malick backed up and toured with blues greats including Muddy Waters, Big Mama Thornton, and John Lee Hooker.
Malick next joined the James Montgomery Band, recording two albums on the Capricorn label, "First Time Out" and "High Roller".
From 1978 to 1981, he made a living playing cards. In 1990, Malick returned to music and moved to a Boston home base, maintaining a busy tour schedule. In 1996, Malick released two independent records on the Conqueroot/Mr. Cat Records label.
Malick released The Peter Malick Group, Chance and Circumstance, in 2003 (Koch Records), a collaborative effort for which he functioned as producer, guitarist, and co-writer with a handful of strong female vocal talent, featuring Norah Jones.
Most recently, Malick has been working on a diverse array of projects at his ChessVolt Studios.
As blues guitarist
- Cut You Loose James Cotton Blues Band (Vanguard 1967)
- Listening Listening (Vanguard 1968)
- First Time Out James Montgomery Band(Capricorn/Warner Bros. 1973)
- High Roller James Montgomery Band(Capricorn/Warner Bros. 1974)
As writer, musician, and singer
- Wrong Side of My Life Peter Malick (Mr. Cat Records 1998)
- Sons of the Jet Age Peter Malick (Mr. Cat 2000)
- Duets From the Spin Dry Cycle Peter Malick & Butch Norton (Luxury Wafers 2010)
*"27 Years " Jung Yong Hwa & Peter Malick (FNC Entertainment 2015)
As producer, writer, and musician
- New York City (album) (Koch 2003)
- The Peter Malick Group, Chance and Circumstance (Koch 2003) featuring Norah Jones.
- New York City, The Remix Album (Koch 2004) featuring Norah Jones.
- The Chill Album (Koch 2005) featuring Norah Jones.
- Lucky Girl, Kirsten Proffit 2006
- Hope Waits (Radarproof Records 2007)
- Courtney Jones, Awake and Dreaming (Radarproof Records 2008)
- "Courtney Jones, All The Things That Fall" (LuxuryWafers 2013)
- Otis Spann's Last Call: Live at Boston Tea Party (Conqueroot 2001)
- Nada Bhava (Anusara  2007)
- Starting Ground Josh Blackburn (Mr. Cat 2007)
- Whiskey with Free Dominguez (2006)
- Transcendence Tony Khalife (Associate Producer)
- "Miles" JOHNA (2013)
- "Grow" Spencer Livivngston (2013)
- "Axels and Sockets" The Jeffrey Lee Pierce Sessions Project (2014)
- Tracks on various remix and compilation albums including Norah Jones' The Recovered (2007).
Movies and television
- W.C. Handy Award 2001 for Otis Spann's Last Call: Live at Boston Tea Party (Conqueroot 2001).
- Billboard's Top Blues Album, New York City (Koch 2003)
- Australian ARIA Gold Record New York City (Shock Records 2003)
Peter is married to Landry Malick, and have a daughter Uma Mae, born July 27, 2010. Mercy Malick is an actor, writer, and vocalist living in Los Angeles. Mercy and her brother Pete are Peter's children from his first marriage. Kyle Srnka and Grace Mathews are Landry's children, and Peter's Step Children.
- "Album Reviews", Billboard, December 21, 1968, p. 34, retrieved 2011-07-21
- Ruhlmann, William "Peter Malick Biography", Allmusic, retrieved 2011-07-21
- "Pre-Fame Norah Jones Vocals On New Disc". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Mayer, Jim (2003) "Sam Good's Got Its Ear to the Street", SPIN, September 2003, retrieved 2011-07-21
- Peter Malick site
- "Peter Malick record label"
- ChessVolt Studios
- allmusic - Peter Malick Biography
- Billboard.com Biography - Peter Malick
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (July 2014)|
- elusive disc Review
- High Roller Review
- United for Opportunity The Peter Malick Group: Chance & Circumstance Review by Johnny Angel
- George Graham Review of The Peter Malick Group: Chance & Circumstance
- Peter Malick New York City Review on Yotta Music
- PeanutsJazz.com Review of New York City
- Rambles Magazine Review
- True Blue from Ellis Kell Argus/ Dispatch blues columnist- Review of Otis Spann - Last Call
- Josh Blackburn 2005 Interview
- Boston Sound Review - Neat old images
- NPR: All Songs Considered, Episode 40
- ABC/ Gippsland Review New York City
- NPR:Otis Spann's Last Recording