Peter Mayo (born 1955) is Professor, Department of Education Studies (was Head 2008-2012), Faculty of Education, University of Malta, Malta. He is also a member of the Collegio Docenti for the doctoral research programme in Educational Sciences and Continuing Education at the Università degli Studi di Verona. He teaches in the areas of sociology of education and adult continuing education, as well as in comparative and international education and sociology in general. Among his major contributions is a comparative analysis of Paulo Freire's and Antonio Gramsci's educational thinking
An invited keynote speaker at international conferences, he has held short-term visiting professorial appointments at the University of Alberta, University of Cyprus, Bogazici University (Istanbul), UBC-Vancouver('Noted Scholar')and University of Gdansk. He was Visiting Professorial Fellow at the Institute of Education, University of London for the period March-15-July 15, 2014. He was previously a member of the Collegio Docenti for the international doctorate in intercultural sociology and education at the University of Messina. He has conducted graduate, public, academic staff or other seminars at several universities including those of Mainz (block seminars), Hamburg, Frankfurt, Toronto (OISE), Rotterdam (International Institute of Social Studies at Den Haag), Glasgow (CRADALL Seminar), London (Institute of Education; Goldsmiths College;), Nottingham (CSSGJ seminar), Southampton, Brunel, Stirling ,Verona (doctoral seminars), Udine, Naples Federico II, the Algarve, Seville, Bogazici, Tampere, and Messina (both teleconferencing), Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte), Universidade Federal de Rio de Janeiro, the American University in Cairo, Gdansk and Poznan (Adam Mickiewicz University). He was the President of the Mediterranean Society of Comparative Education (MESCE) 2008-2010, edits a book series on ‘international issues in adult education’ for Sense Publishers and co-edits another book series (with Anne Hickling Hudson and Antonia Darder), on Postcolonial Studies in Education, for Palgrave-Macmillan.With Anne Hickling Hudon and Milosh Raykov, he edits the refereed journal, Postcolonial Directions in Education.
His internationally acknowledged work includes over 100 papers published in international refereed journals or as chapters in edited books. In 2011 he was given the Comparative International Education Society (CIES) Higher Education SIG award for best published research article on Higher Education from an international and comparative perspective. Two years later, he and Leona English were awarded the prestigious Cyril Houle Award by the American Association for Adult Continuing Education [AAACE] for the book Learning with Adults. A Critical pedagogical Introduction. He sits on the Editorial Advisory Boards of several international journals including International Journal of Lifelong Education (Taylor & Francis), International Review of Education (Springer) Journal of Transformative Education (Sage), Policy Futures in Education (Symposium), Encylopaideia (ClueB, Bologna) and Educational Philosophy and Theory (Wiley-Blackwell). He recently guest edited a special issue of Comparative Education (Routledge, 2008) and was also guest editor of a special issue of Educational Philosophy and Theory (Wiley-Blackwell, 2009).
- The National Museum of Fine Arts, Midsea Publications, Malta
- Beyond Schooling (co-edited with G. Baldacchino, Mireva, Malta, 1997)
- Gramsci, Freire and Adult Education (Zed Books, London, 1999); also published in Catalan (Crec, Xativa-Valencia), Portuguese (Artmed, Porto Alegre), German (Argument Verlag, Hamburg), Italian (Carlo Delfino Editore, Sassari), Spanish (Instituto Paulo Freire de España y edicions del CREC; col.laboradores: denes editorial y diálogos.red, Valencia) Turkish (UTOPYA, Ankara) and Japanese (TaroJiro-Sha Editus Co., Ltd.)
- Gramsci and Education (co-edited with C. Borg and J.A. Buttigieg, Rowman & Littlefield, Maryland, 2002) also published in Turkish (Kalkedon, Istanbul), Spanish (Xativa-Valencia, denes editorial y diálogos.red)and Catalan translation (Crec, Xativa).
- Liberating Praxis. Paulo Freire's Legacy for Radical Education and Politics (Praeger, Westport CT, 2004), AESA Critics Choice Award 2005; in paperback by Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, 2008;in Catalan translation, as La Praxi Alliberadora. El Llegat de Paulo Freire per a l’Educació Radical i Politica, (Xativa, Denes editorial, Crec, 2008); also published, in Turkish translation, as Özgürlestiren Praksis - Paulo Freire'nin Radikal Eğitim ve politica Mirasi (Ankara, Dipnot, 2012).
- Learning and Social Difference. (co-authored with C. Borg, Paradigm, Boulder Co., 2006)
- Education, Society and Leadership (co-edited with M. Darmanin, Allied Publishers, Malta, 2007),
- Adult Education in Malta (DVV-International, Bonn, 2007)
- Public Intellectuals, Radical Democracy and Social Movements. A Book of Interviews (with C. Borg, Peter Lang Publishers, New York, 2007).
- Mediterranean Studies in Comparative Education, (co-edited with C. Borg and R. G. Sultana, MESCE and EMCER, 2009).
- Education in Small States. Global Imperatives, Regional Initiatives and Local Dilemmas (edited, London and New York, Routledge, 2009)
- Gramsci and Educational Thought (edited, Oxford and New York,Wiley-Blackwell, 2010) also published in Turkish translation, as Gramsci ve Eğitsel Düşünce (Istanbul, Kalkedon, 2010).
- Learning with Adults. A Critical Pedagogical Introduction (co-authored with Leona English, Rotterdam,Sense Publishers, 2012). Winner of 2013 Cyril Houle Award for "outstanding literature in adult education" ; also published in Spanish translation, as Aprendiendo con personas adultas. una introducción crítica y pedagógica (Xativa, Instituto Paulo Freire de España, Dialogos, CREC, 2013); also published, in Catalan translation, as Aprenent amb persones adultes: una introducció crítica i pedagògica (Xativa, Instituto Paulo Freire de España, CREC, 2013)
- Echoes from Freire for a Critically Engaged Pedagogy (New York & London, Bloomsbury, 2012)
- Politics of Indignation. Imperialism, Postcolonial Disruptions and Social Change (Alresford, Hants, Zer0 Books/John Hunt Publishers, 2012)
- Learning with Adults. A Reader (edited) (Rotterdam, Boston & Taipei: Sense, 2013)
- Lorenzo Milani, the School of Barbiana and the Struggle for Social Justice (co-authored with Federico Batini and Alessio Surian, New York & Frankfurt, Peter Lang, 2014).
- Práctica de la Práctica. compromiso y libertad en las experiencias educativas emancipadoras, (Xativa: Instituto Paulo Freire de España, Dialogos,Tarepa PV, 2014).
- http://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/75876/P_Mayo_Biodata_and_publications-3_updated_16_Oct.pdfPeter Mayo's Biography at the University of Malta