Peter Rodgers Melnick
Peter Rodgers Melnick (born July 24, 1958) is a composer for film, television and musical theatre.
Some of Melnick’s earlier film score credits include L.A. Story, The Only Thrill, Convicts, and Farce of the Penguins. His television credits include the PBS's, Cinema's Exiles: From Hitler to Hollywood, Indictment: The McMartin Trial, Grand Avenue, and Lily Dale by Horton Foote.
More recently Melnick he has returned to musical theater.[when?]
His first produced musical was Adrift in Macao, featuring script and lyrics by Christopher Durang. Melnick then collaborated with Bill Russell on The Last Smoker in America, a musical comedy about a dysfunctional family struggling with a new law forbidding smoking. It opened in Columbus, Ohio in fall 2010.
Melnick and Russell have also worked together on two musical one-acts, Patter for the Floating Lady, based on the eponymous Steve Martin, and A Bad Spell, adapted from a Virginia Moriconi short story Simple Arithmetic.
Melnick is the son of Daniel Melnick and Linda Rodgers, and grandson of Richard Rodgers and grew up in New York City. He graduated from The Choate School (which later merged with Rosemary Hall to become Choate Rosemary Hall) and attended Harvard College, Berklee College of Music, and the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. He also studied jazz with the Jaki Byard.
Melnick now lives in Montecito, California, with wife, Laini. They have two children.
- Musical theatre scores
- Adrift in Macao (2005)
- The Last Smoker in America (2010)
- Film scores
- Vampire Knights (1987)
- Homesick, film short (1988)
- Get Smart, Again! (1989); TV movie
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind (1990)
- Bad Attitudes (1991); TV movie
- L.A. Story (1991)
- Convicts (1991)
- Only You (1992)
- In the Name of the Father, film short (1992)
- Running Mates (1992); TV movie
- Arctic Blue (1993)
- 12:01 (1993); TV movie
- Indictment: The McMartin Trial (1995); TV movie
- For Hope (1996); TV movie
- Grand Avenue (1996); TV movie
- No One Could Protect Her (1996)
- Two Mothers for Zachary (1996); TV movie
- Every 9 Seconds (1997); TV movie
- Jitters (1997); TV movie
- The Only Thrill (1997)
- Time to Say Goodbye? (1997)
- Becoming Dick (2000); TV movie
- Mermaid (2000); TV movie
- Taking Back Our Town (2001); TV movie
- Call Waiting, film short (2004)
- Farce of the Penguins (2006)
- Television scores
- The KGB, the Computer and Me (1990); TV documentary
- Testing Dirty (1990); TV series: ABC Afterschool Specials
- Magic (1991); TV series
- Lily Dale (1996); TV series: Hallmark Hall of Fame
- Edgar Allan Poe: Terror of the Soul (1995); TV series documentary: American Masters
- Robert Rauschenberg: Inventive Genius (1999); TV series documentary: American Masters
- Tak for Alt: Survival of a Human Spirit (1999); documentary
- Cinema's Exiles: From Hitler to Hollywood (2009); TV documentary
||This article uses bare URLs for citations, which may be threatened by link rot. (June 2014)|
-  Isherwood, Charles (February 14, 2007). Here’s Looking at You, Beloved Movie Clichés] New York Times, Retrieved December 20, 2010.
-  Piepenburg, Erik (October 12, 2009) NYMF: Five Questions About ‘The Last Smoker in America.’ New York Times. Retrieved December 20, 2010.
-  Choate Rosemary Hall 2004 Alumni Directory (2004). Bernard C. Harris Publishing Company, Inc. Cheasapeake, VA.
-  Peter Melnick Composer. Retrieved December 23, 2010.
- Peter Rodgers Melnick at the Internet Movie Database
- Peter Rodgers Melnick at the Internet Off Broadway Database
- Peter Rodgers Melnick at the Internet Broadway Database