|Peter J. Nygård|
|Known for||Chairman of Nygård International|
Peter J. Nygård (born 1943) is a Canadian fashion executive, founder and chairman of Nygård International, a company based in Winnipeg that makes women's wear. He was rated the 70th richest Canadian by Canadian Business Magazine in 2009 with a net worth of $817 million.
Nygård was born in Helsinki, Finland in 1943. His parents were Eeli and Hilkka Nygård, bakers who immigrated to Canada in 1952, settling at first in Deloraine, Manitoba (where Nygård Park would later be named in honor of Peter in 2002). They moved shortly after to Winnipeg. He currently lives in New York City.
Nygård has seven children.
On December 1, 1967, Peter Nygård used his life savings and an additional loan of $8,000 to purchase 20% of a woman’s clothing manufacturer. A few years later Peter Nygård owned the company and renamed it Nygård International.
Nygård is Canada's largest 'fashion house'.
On April 14, 2010 Peter Nygard announced he was planning a $50 million renovation of Nygård Cay, which would take two years to complete and repair the damage and employ 200 construction workers.
Nygård has supported the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation
Nygård has been a longtime sponsor of amateur sports in the Bahamas. In June 2010, is the main sponsor of Amateur Boxing Federation of the Bahamas' team for Continental Elite Boxing Championships Invitation only event slated for June 13–19 in Quito, Ecuador. Wellington Miller, the president of the Bahamas Olympic Committee, said Nygård has contributed significantly to the Amateur Boxing Association of the Bahamas and their Olympic success.
In the same month, Nygård also donated $10,000 to Josie Poitier, a member of Holy Redeemer Church, during a Passover/Good Friday Breakfast/Brunch.
In February 2012, Nygård launched a lawsuit against the CBC regarding copyright issues about private videos taken at his residence, which were then used in an April 2010 documentary. He had also launched a copyright complaint with the US District Court in New York and a lawsuit in Manitoba to prevent the piece from airing. He had previously sued two former employees for releasing confidential information and his lawyer claimed CBC harassed many of the employees. Nygård launched a civil suit against his neighbor and the Lyford Cay Property Owners Association alleging they conspired with the CBC to damage his reputation; he also filed a private criminal prosecution against three CBC journalists accusing them of conspiring to discredit him and his clothing empire.
- Kirbyson, Geoff (2009-11-19). "Manitobans make magazine's Rich 100 list". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- "North Dakota Entrepreneur Hall of Fame". innovators.net. Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- "Entrepreneur Awards". innovators.net. Retrieved 12 July 201.
- "Peter Nygard's success story". lasplash.com. Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- "Nygard International Company Profile".
- "Fire destroys Nygard's Bahamas compound", Winnipeg Free Press, November 10, 2009
- "Nygard pledges 50 million comeback". The Nassau Guardian. Retrieved June 28, 2010.
- "Nygard Cay is not licensed as commercial property". The Nassau Tribune. August 16, 2010. Retrieved August 31, 2010.
- "Nygård Cay". unusualvillarentals.com. Retrieved 28 June 2010 ".
- "$26.5 million Raised Nationwide as Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure Celebrates Sweet Sixteen". Cnwtelbec.com. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- "Nygard sponsoring team for 'invitation only' amateur boxing event". The Tribune. June 1, 2010. Retrieved June 29, 2010.
- "Nygard to sponsor Exuma regatta". The Tribune. March 29, 2011. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "Nygard Does It Again, Sponsors National F.I. Regatta". Jones Bahamas. March 28, 2011. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "I did everything that I could to make it such a great sport". The Tribune. March 29, 2011. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "After years of giving, volunteer gets recognition, reward". Miami Herald. April 25, 2011. Retrieved April 25, 2011.
- "Nygard files another lawsuit against CBC". lfpress.com. 2/23/2012. Retrieved 2/24/2012.
- "Former Deputy PM denies defending Nygard International against immigration accusations". The Nassau Tribune. April 14, 2010. Retrieved April 20, 2010.
- "Fashion mogul Peter Nygård tries to block airing of CBC show". Fftimes.com. 2010-01-12. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- Famous Fashionista says: (2010-01-11). "Nygård seeks damages from the CBC". fashionmagazine.com. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- Austen, Ian (2010-01-10). "Nygard Sues Over Unwanted Media Coverage". Canada: NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- Owen, Bruce (2010-01-13). "CBC probe distracts staff, Nygård claims". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- "Nygard enemy bolts". Toronto Sun. 4/9/2011. Retrieved 4/26/2011.
- "Fashion tycoon Peter Nygard files criminal complaint against CBC". Toronto Sun. 4/1/2011. Retrieved 4/26/2011.
- peternygardpr.com Official website