||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2009)|
5 July 1931 |
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|The Peter Silverman Show at CFRB|
Peter Guy Silverman, O.Ont is a Canadian broadcast journalist based in Toronto, Ontario. His television journalism career began in 1974 as a reporter for Global Television Network's first years. In 1981, he moved to Citytv where he became a reporter for that station's CityPulse news program (now known as CityNews). He was host of Silverman Helps, an ombudsman-type feature for consumers that began in 1989, and ended on 4 June 2008 when he was dismissed without cause by Citytv's owner, Rogers Media. On September 2008, Silverman joined Toronto radio station CFRB to host a Saturday morning radio show called The Peter Silverman Show.
Awards and recognition
In 1994, he was honoured by the Toronto Police with a citation for his work in revealing a computer fraud case. Silverman received RTNDA's Edward R Murrow Award in 2005. He was nominated for a Gemini Award in 2006 for Best Reportage with Terry O'Keefe and Anna Rodrigues. The following year, he was nominated for another Gemini in the Best Reportage category for the King West Opticians story. The Toronto chapter of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners presented Silverman with an award in recognition of his fraud fighting in 2006. On 22 January 2009, Silverman was made a member of the Order of Ontario. He received the RTNDA lifetime achievement award on 26 June 2009. In 2012, Silverman was presented with the Queens Diamond Jubilee Medal for his continuing volunteer work with NGOs. Silverman has a PhD (History, U of Toronto) and a Diploma in Native Law and Administration from the University of Cape Town. He is the author of two books on child welfare and child protection in Canada (Who Speaks for the Children? and Voices of a Lost Generation), as well as numerous articles in publications ranging from academic publications (such as the Journal of the United Services Institution, UK), The Globe and Mail, Razor Magazine to the online World Security Network.
- CityTV/CBS (10 February 2007). "Toronto Man Charged With Assaulting Reporter, 75". KEYE-TV. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2009-01-15.
- "Order of Ontario Appointments Announced".
- Warmington, Joe (12 June 2008). "CITY-TV dumps Peter Silverman". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- Salem, Rob (12 June 2008). "Speakers Corner given the gag". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "The Administrative Governance Board". The Canadian Organization for Tropical Education and Rainforest Conservation. Retrieved 2009-06-15.[dead link]
- "21st Annual Gemini Awards - Gemini News, Sports and Documentary Gala" (pdf). Gemini Awards. 28 September 2006.
- "And the nominees are...". Playback. 1 October 2007. Retrieved 2009-06-15 Silverman was awarded the Dan McArthur Award for Investigative Reporting 2005, New York festival Gold and World Medal in 2005, and was voted Man pof the Year in the Greater Toronto Area in 2006.. Check date values in:
- "Fraud Fighting Recognition Awards" (pdf). ACFE Canadian Newsletter (ACFE Canada). November 2007. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "Central Regional Pro Dev Seminar & Awards Banquet". RTNDA Canada. Retrieved 2009-06-15.[dead link]
- "The Peter Silverman Show" on CFRB
- "Silverman Helps Encounter Makes CNN As New Wrinkle Develops". Citytv. 9 February 2007. Retrieved 2009-01-15.
- "Caught On Camera-Enraged Merchant Attacks Reporter". WFOR-TV. 10 February 2007. Retrieved 2009-01-15.
- Sanchez, Rick (2007-02-11). "CNN Newsroom: Striking Back in New Orleans; Children of the Storm". CNN. Retrieved 2009-01-15.
- "Interviews: City TV Ombudsman". Sounds Like Canada (CBC Radio). 11 July 2008. Retrieved 2009-06-15.[dead link]