||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010)|
Peter Alan Thum is an American social entrepreneur, business executive, and humanitarian. He is the founder of the social ventures Ethos Water and Fonderie 47, and the non-profit organization Giving Water.
Thum had the idea for Ethos Water in 2001 while working for McKinsey & Company on a project in South Africa where he saw water issues firsthand. Thum led Ethos as president through its acquisition by Starbucks in 2005. From 2005 to 2008, he managed Ethos and other businesses as a vice president of Starbucks and guided its philanthropy as a director of the Starbucks Foundation.
Thum is CEO and cofounder of Fonderie 47, a brand that turns assault rifles into high-end jewelry, watches and accessories. Founded in 2009, the company's mission is to reduce the number and impact of assault rifles and other small arms around the world. The company has collaborated with designers including James de Givenchy and Philip Crangi to create jewelry pieces which when sold each fund the destruction of assault rifles in Africa. Fonderie 47 has funded the destruction of over 25,000 assault rifles.
Thum is involved in business and social missions. He advises for-profit and not-for-profit organizations on social venture creation and corporate social responsibility programs. Thum speaks about social and business topics at conferences and in the media. He also serves on the boards for several companies and organizations focused on service, including the Global Fund for Human Rights, and FEED projects.
Thum previously worked at McKinsey & Company and Gallo Winery in the United States and Europe.
- Harris, Jessica (2007-11-05). "Ethics In a Bottle". Fortune Small Business via Money.CNN.com. Archived from the original on April 8, 2012. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- Gammon, Katherine (12 December 2012). "Melting Down Deadly AK-47s To Make Beautiful Art". FastCo Exist. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Peter Thum". The American Program Bureau. Retrieved May 26, 2010.
- "Peter Thum to Speak on "Philanthropy With a Heart and Mind"". North Texas Nonprofit Resources Blog. 29 August 2012. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Guns to Jewelry: Fonderie 47's Phoenix Collection". Bloomberg TV. Bloomberg. 26 September 2012. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- "Peter Thum". McKinsey & Company. Retrieved May 26, 2010.
- Freydkin, Donna (August 30, 2010). "Cara Buono shares cooking tips but no 'Mad Men' secrets". USA Today. Archived from the original on April 8, 2012.
- "Ethos Water Fund". Starbucks.com. Archived from the original on April 8, 2012. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- Giving Water
- Fonderie 47
|This article about a United States businessperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|