Peter Tolkin Architecture
|Peter Tolkin Architecture|
|Key architects||Peter Tolkin|
|Buildings||Saladang Song Restaurant|
The practice's early work focused on the revitalization and redevelopment of buildings in Old Town Pasadena. In several adaptive reuse projects, PTA developed an expertise in pedestrian-scaled urban commercial and retail projects. PTA's experience in Old Pasadena led to work in other cities with downtown revitalization plans, such as Santa Monica and Long Beach.
PTA has recently completed several larger projects. In Merced, a series of mixed-use buildings, in conjunction with a comprehensive downtown revitalization. For Claremont, PTA was responsible for the planning of the West Village Expansion, a project encompassing retail, movie theaters, hotel facilities, and a town square. The practice's winning proposal for the development of a two-city-block mixed-use project called Metlox in Manhattan Beach created a public space connecting the city's civic center with its main commercial street. The urban planning project includes a town square, boutique hotel, restaurants, retail shops, offices, and underground parking.
As a counterpart to these public projects, the practice has also designed a number of projects in the private realm, including the award-winning Saladang Song restaurant, Long Beach Promenade Lofts and Marmion Court Housing. Award-winning and published private residences include the Sherman Residence and Malibu Residence.
- Maison 140, in conjunction with Kelly Wearstler Interior Design
- Claremont Downtown- a re-design and expansion of Claremont's downtown
- Metlox- shopping district and town square, a large-scale mixed-use development in Manhattan Beach
- Bike Transit Center- a tunnel-like shelter for bike users across from the Metro Gold Line Memorial Park Station in Old Town Pasadena. The structure uses photovoltaic and light polycarbonate material in its 5-foot modules.
- Saladang Song Thai Restaurant-a Pasadena restaurant constructed out of laser-cut steel screens and slabs. The patio-style restaurant takes inspiration from the traditional Thai sala, or outdoor pavilion.
- Sherman Residence- featured in Fracture (2007), and CSI: Miami
- Malibu Residence
- Saladang Song was a finalist for the James Beard Foundation restaurant design awards, and it received a merit award from the Los Angeles AIA and an Honor award from the Pasadena & Foothill chapters of the American Institute of Architects.
- 2002 Peter Tolkin featured in Architectural Record as one of ten “vanguard” international firms.
- 2006 AIA Award—Pasadena Bike Transit Center 
- 2007 AIA Award—Malibu Residence
- 2009 LA Architectural Award, Design Concept—Pasadena Bike Transit Center
- Architectural Record Vanguard 2002
- James Beard Foundation Awards 2001
- AIA Pasadena & Foothills Design Awards - Bike Transit Center