Peter V. Brett
|Peter V. Brett|
Brett at the 2009 Brooklyn Book Festival.
February 8, 1973 |
New Rochelle, New York
|Education||BA, English Literature, Art History|
Peter V. Brett (born February 8, 1973) is an American fantasy novelist. He is the author of the Demon Cycle, whose first volume was published in the UK by HarperCollins's Voyager imprint in 2008 as The Painted Man and in the US by Del Rey Books as The Warded Man.
Peter Brett studied English Literature and Art History at the University at Buffalo, graduating in 1995, after which he spent more than ten years working in the pharmaceutical publication field before writing full-time. He developed an interest in fantasy from an early age and The Painted Man was his fourth novel. He lives in Brooklyn with his wife and daughter. He also enjoys comics and role playing.
The novel takes place on a formerly advanced civilization world which has now been reduced to a dark age by the attacks of demons known as 'corelings'. These are powerful beings with magical abilities and differing elemental natures, and each night they emerge from the planet's core to feed on humans, who must take care to be indoors before dark. Against this backdrop the three main characters Arlen, Leesha, and Rojer, pass into maturity and begin individual quests to bring an end to the terror. The book has been translated into German, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, French, Spanish, Serbian, Czech, Japanese, and Hungarian.
In The Desert Spear two men are claimed by their own followers to be humanity's prophesied Deliverer. One is Arlen Bales, formerly of a small hamlet who, after many hard lessons, has become the Painted Man (so called because he has covered himself in demon-warding runes). Another contender is a desert warrior, a former friend and betrayer of Arlen, who carries a mystical spear (stolen from Arlen) and heads a vast army intent on a holy war against the demons and anyone else who stands in the way.
Brett's novelettes include the 2010 book The Great Bazaar and Other Stories, and the 2011 book Brayan’s Gold.
- Novel Quintet:
- The Painted Man (2008) (US title The Warded Man; 2009)(FR title L'Homme-Rune; 2009)
- The Desert Spear (March 27, 2010, Del Rey)(FR title La Lance du désert; 2010)
- The Daylight War (February 12, 2013)
- The Skull Throne (Expected Release March 24, 2015) (Forthcoming, working title subject to change)
- The Core (Forthcoming, working title subject to change)
- Standalone Novel:
- Tibbet’s Brook (Forthcoming, working title subject to change)
- Standalone Novellas:
- "The Painted Man by Peter V Brett". Fantasy Book Review. 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-12.
- Allen, Nick (April 18, 2010). "Commuter who wrote fantasy novel on his phone on verge of multi-million dollar movie deal". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2010-04-19.
- "Tetovaný". Nakladatelství Triton. Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- "Author's Blog - Peephole In My Skull: Desert Spear Update, II". May 2, 2009. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- Brett, Peter V. "Daylight War Release Dates and The Demon Cycle". Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- "The Daylight War: Peter V. Brett (Hardcover)". Amazon.com.
- https://twitter.com/PVBrett/statuses/501032502912626688. Missing or empty
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter V. Brett.|
- Peter V. Brett's website
- Video interview with Peter Brett on Youtube
- Peter V. Brett at Fantasy Literature
- The Warded Man, by Peter V. Brett at SFReader.com
- Peter V. Brett at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database