|Varghese, pictured in 2009.|
|Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade|
3 December 2012
|Preceded by||Dennis Richardson|
|Born||Peter Joseph Noozhumurry Varghese
|Alma mater||University of Queensland|
|Occupation||Diplomat; Public servant|
Peter Joseph Noozhumurry Varghese AO (born 1956 in Kenya), an Australian diplomat and public servant, has been the Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade since 3 December 2012.
Early life and career
Varghese was born in Kenya to Malayali parents from Kerala, India. He emigrated to Australia as a child in 1964. He studied history and graduated from the University of Queensland. with a university medal.
From 2004 to 2009, he was Director-General of the Office of National Assessments, an Australian government intelligence agency which reports directly to the Prime Minister. Prior to this he was the Australian High Commissioner to Malaysia, then Deputy Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.[dead link] Immediately prior to his appointment as Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Varghese served as Australia's High Commissioner to India, with concurrent accreditation to Bhutan, between August 2009 and October 2012. Varghese has also served overseas in Tokyo (1994), Washington (1986–88) and Vienna (1980–83).
In 2010, Varghese was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia for distinguished service to public administration, particularly in leading reform in the Australian intelligence community and as an adviser in the areas of foreign policy and international security.
Varghese is married and has an adult son.
- "VARGHESE, Peter J N". It's an honour. Commonwealth of Australia. 14 June 2010. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- Gillard, Julia (17 September 2012). "Diplomatic Appointment and Appointment of Secretaries of the Department of Defence and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (Press release). Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Biographical Details – Mr Peter N Varghese: Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade". Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. 8 December 2012. Retrieved 8 December 2012.
- "Organisational Structure" (PDF). Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. 8 December 2012. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- Smith, Stephen (8 June 2009). "Diplomatic Appointment – High Commissioner to India". Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Press release). Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 8 June 2009.
- Rudd, Kevin (14 April 2009). "Director-General of the Office of National Assessments". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet (Press release). Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- Ramsay, Alan (19 February 2005). "All for the sum total of nothing". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- "ONA Director-General Appointment Announcement of Peter Varghese" (Press release). Prime Minister of Australia.[dead link]
References and further reading
|Australian High Commissioner to India
|Australian High Commissioner to Malaysia
|Director-General of the Office of National Assessments
|Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
2012 – present