|The Rt Revd
|Bishop of Edmonton|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of London|
|Predecessor||The Rt Revd Brian Masters|
|Other posts||Archdeacon of Hampstead (1995–1999)|
|Ordination||1973 (deacon) 1974 (priest)|
|Born||7 September 1947|
|Alma mater||The Queen's College, Oxford|
Educated at Ipswich School, The Queen's College, Oxford, and Pembroke College, Cambridge, Wheatley trained for ordination at the College of the Resurrection and Ripon Hall, Oxford and was ordained in 1973.
Wheatley served his curacy at All Saints Church, Fulham, becoming vicar of Holy Cross in St Pancras, London in 1978. In 1982, he moved to become priest-in-charge of All Souls' Hampstead and St Mary's Kilburn. He also became vicar of St James' in West Hampstead at this time.
While remaining a parish priest, Wheatley became the Director of Post-Ordination Training in 1988 for the Edmonton area. Between 1988 and 1993, he was also Area Dean of North Camden and was a member of the General Synod from 1975 to 1995. He became Archdeacon of Hampstead in 1995.
Wheatley was consecrated Bishop of Edmonton in March 1999.
Wheatley is opposed to the ordination of women as priests and bishops. In 2008 he was one of several hundred clergy who signed an open letter from Forward in Faith calling upon the Archbishops of Canterbury and York, as co-chairmen of the Church of England's General Synod, to ensure that legal protections established in 1992 for those clergy who were conscientiously unable to accept the ordination of women be preserved. This was in response to a proposal in General Synod that the statutory legal protections concerned should be replaced with a merely advisory "Code of Practice".
Wheatley is allegedly gay and known to have been gay at the time of his appointment in the 1990s. By 2003 he had been sharing his home with his partner for eight years. He says that he is "a celibate Christian living by Christian teachings".
- Peter Wheatley (1947–1973)
- The Revd Peter Wheatley (1973–1995)
- The Ven Peter Wheatley (1995–1999)
- The Rt Revd Peter Wheatley (1999—present)
- Who's Who 2008 London, A & C Black, 2008 ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Crockford’s On Line Accessed Thursday 24 April 2008 20:17
- Debrett's People of Today: Ed Ellis,P 1992, London, Debtrett's p 1621 ISBN 1-870520-09-2)
- Forward In Faith UK, Open Letter to the Archbishops, 30th June 2008
- The Times, 23rd June 2003, article by Ruth Gledhill
- Changing Attitude web site.
- "Times On Line". Times Newspapers. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Edmonton