Petersburg, West Virginia
|Petersburg, West Virginia|
Location of Petersburg, West Virginia
|• Total||1.62 sq mi (4.20 km2)|
|• Land||1.62 sq mi (4.20 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||935 ft (285 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||2,415|
|• Density||1,522.8/sq mi (588.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1555332|
Petersburg was founded circa 1745 by Jacob Peterson, who owned the area's first merchandising store. The settlement was incorporated in 1910.
Registered Historic Places
- The Manor (ca. 1830)
- Hermitage Motor Inn (ca. 1840)
- Grant County Courthouse (1878-79)
- Rohrbaugh Cabin (ca. 1880)
Petersburg is located at (38.993339, -79.126582).
The climate in this area has mild differences between highs and lows, and there is adequate rainfall year round. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Petersburg has a marine west coast climate, abbreviated "Cfb" on climate maps.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (October 2012)|
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,467 people, 1,113 households, and 614 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,522.8 inhabitants per square mile (588.0/km2). There were 1,310 housing units at an average density of 808.6 per square mile (312.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 94.3% White, 2.0% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 2.0% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.4% of the population.
There were 1,113 households of which 24.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.6% were married couples living together, 12.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 44.8% were non-families. 38.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.11 and the average family size was 2.77.
The median age in the city was 47.1 years. 19.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 20.5% were from 25 to 44; 27% were from 45 to 64; and 25.4% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 46.2% male and 53.8% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,423 people, 1,086 households, and 620 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,482.6 people per square mile (573.9/km²). There were 1,222 housing units at an average density of 747.7 per square mile (289.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.44% White, 1.57% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 0.29% from other races, and 0.41% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.78% of the population.
There were 1,086 households out of which 23.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.3% were married couples living together, 10.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.9% were non-families. 38.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.10 and the average family size was 2.75.
In the city the population was spread out with 19.0% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 23.8% from 25 to 44, 24.1% from 45 to 64, and 24.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 83.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $24,867, and the median income for a family was $32,941. Males had a median income of $23,654 versus $20,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,642. About 11.9% of families and 17.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.3% of those under age 18 and 11.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Joan Banks (1918-1998), prolific radio actress, a regular on Gang Busters and 33 episodes of CBS Radio Mystery Theater, who also appeared in many classic TV series like Perry Mason (TV series) and Alfred Hitchcock Presents. She was married to actor Frank Lovejoy.
- M. Blane Michael (1943-2011), Circuit Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "2000 U.S. Population Centered in Missouri". National Atlas of the United States. 2001-04-02. Retrieved 2014-09-27.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Petersburg, West Virginia