Location of Peto in Yucatán
|• Type||PRI 2007-2010|
|• Municipal President||Jose Vicente Dominguez Canto|
|• Total||3,136 km2 (1,211 sq mi)|
|Elevation||35 m (115 ft)|
|Population (2005 )|
|Time zone||Central Standard Time (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||Central Daylight Time (UTC-5)|
|Major Airport||Merida (Manuel Crescencio Rejón) International Airport|
Peto is one of 106 municipalities in Yucatán state, Mexico. It has a municipal seat of the same name and is located in the centre-south portion of the Mexican state of Yucatán, 135 km to the south-east of state capital Mérida.
The municipality is made up of 74 communities, the most important include the following:
- Peto (Municipal Seat)
- City population (2005): 18,177
- City Founded: 1549
- Annual fairs: 29 April to 3 May; 26 December to 2 January
- Media: XEPET-AM, a government-run indigenous community radio station.
- "Nuestros municipios - Peto". Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Encyclopedia of the Municipalities of Mexico: Yucatan". Retrieved 2009-11-01.
- Census Results by Locality, 2005 INEGI.