June 29, 1987 |
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||212 lb (96 kg; 15 st 2 lb)|
HC Slavia Praha
|National team||Czech Republic|
|NHL Draft||39th overall, 2005
Kalus played three years of junior hockey with HC Vítkovice in the Czech Republic before coming to play for the Regina Pats. Kalus was drafted in the second round, 39th overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft by the Boston Bruins. In his first season playing North American hockey, Kalus led the Pats in scoring with 58 points in 60 games. He then signed a three-year entry level contract with the Bruins on May 8, 2006.
In the 2006–07 season, Kalus played 43 games for the Providence Bruins of the American Hockey League (AHL) with 30 points. He also played nine games for the Boston Bruins with five points. In Kalus' Bruins games, he scored on his first three shots, a feat previously not done in the NHL since 1996.
On June 30, 2007, Kalus was traded by the Bruins, along with a fourth-round pick to the Minnesota Wild for goaltender Manny Fernandez. He was assigned to the Houston Aeros of the AHL. At the start of the 2008–09 season on October 18, 2008, Kalus left the Houston Aeros to play for HC MVD of the KHL, with the Wild retaining Kalus' rights through June 30, 2010.
Following a disappointing season with MVD Kalus, on June 26, 2009, decided to return to the Wild for the 2009–10 season. During the 2010-11 season, Kalus' tenure with the Wild ended when he was traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets for future considerations on March 1, 2011. He was immediately assigned to AHL affiliate, the Springfield Falcons.
On April 27, 2011, Kalus signed a try-out contract with Jokerit of the SM-liiga. He was selected to return to his native Czech Republic with HC Slavia Praha before joining team MODO of the Swedish Elite Serien. Last season Petr performed very well for Djurgarden IF.
Regular season and playoffs
|2011–12||HC Slavia Praha||CZE||30||3||4||7||136||—||—||—||—||—|
|Junior int'l totals||12||1||3||4||16|
- "Kalus agrees to three-year deal". Boston Bruins. 2006-05-08. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- "Petr Kalus, Wild - Notes". NHL. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "Bruins acquire Manny Fernandez". Canadian Press. 2007-07-01.
- "Prospect leaves Aeros, heads home". Star Tribune. 2008-10-18. Retrieved 2008-11-10.
- Michael Russo (2009-06-29). "Sources: Kalus coming back to the Wild". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2009-07-10.[dead link]
- "Wild deal Petr Kalus to Jackets". 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2011-03-01.
- "Kalus on probation" (in Finnish). 2011-04-27. Retrieved 2011-05-01.