The name is derived from the Chinese character 范. As with other East-Asian surnames derived from Chinese, it does not necessarily imply familial relations with those sharing the same surname, accounting 7.1.
Although Phạm is not as common a surname among Vietnamese populations as Nguyễn , it remains prevalent. Among the global ethnic Vietnamese population, it is the 5th most common name accounting for 5% of the total 75 million. In the United States, Phạm is the #1455 most common last name with about 0.008% of all last names. It is the 951st most common in France with 5,509 persons sharing that name. It is ranked 943rd in the Social Security Index.
Notable people with the surname Phạm
There are many notable people named Phạm, including:
- Phạm Tuân, first Vietnamese cosmonaut and the first Asian in space.
- Phạm Công Trứ, mandarin of the Le and Trinh dynasties
- Phạm Ngũ Lão, prominent general under Trần Hưng Đạo
- Phạm Văn Đồng Prime Minister of North Vietnam (1955–1976) & reunified Vietnam (1976–1987)
- Hung Pham, politician from Alberta, Canada.
- Pham Le Bong, foreign minister to Bao Dai (last emperor of Vietnam).
- Phạm Quang Cang, author.
- Quang X. Pham, author of A Sense of Duty: My Father, My American Journey, founder of Lathian Systems
- Andrew X. Pham, author
- Phạm Thị Hoài, author
- Pham Xuan Thai, Vietnamese linguist
- Phạm Xuân Ẩn, Vietnamese journalist and communist spy from South Vietnam
- Phạm Công Tắc, first twelve disciples of Cao Dai
- Jean-Baptiste Phạm Minh Mẫn Cardinal Priest & Archbishop of Ho Chi Minh City in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Phạm Đình Chương, composer and songwriter
- Phạm Quang Cang, composer and songwriter
- Pham Duy, composer and songwriter
- Khoi Pham, artist for Marvel Comics (X-Factor, Mighty Avengers,Incredible Hercules, Chaos War)
- Weston Pham, artist for Xavier College
- Ngoc Pham, traditional dA artist Ha Noi Law Uni
- Pham Ngoc Thao, colonel in the Army of the Republic of Vietnam, communist spy
- Pham Phu Quoc, Vietnam Air Force pilot in 1962 South Vietnamese Independence Palace bombing
- Pham Van Dong, ARVN general
- Pham Van Phu, ARVN general
- Pham Nuwen, the protagonist of Vernor Vinge's Hugo Award winning science fiction series, A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky
- Pham Khang, a man with the title "Prosperous Dragon.".
- French surnames
- PBS, POV: The Sweetest Sound: Popularity Index