Phantom Tollbooth (band)
Phantom Tollbooth was a post punk band from New York City. They played a style of post punk that included elements from jazz, noise rock, and art rock. This allowed Phantom Tollbooth to make sudden starts, stops, and tempo changes in their music. All of their albums were released in a four year window between 1984 to 1988 on Homestead Records. In 2003, Guided by Voices frontman Robert Pollard created new lyrics and melodies for Phantom Tollbooth's 1988 album Power Toy. The resulting work was released as Beard of Lightning.
- Dave Rick (guitar/vocals), is a former member of B.A.L.L., Bongwater, King Missile, Shapir-O'Rama, When People Were Shorter and Lived Near the Water, Wide Right, Wonderama, Yo La Tengo. He currently plays with Atlantic Drone, Dew-Claw, The Martinets, Overcat and Stress Test.
- Gerard Smith[disambiguation needed] (bassist), recently recorded with Ben Miller and his band Third Border on the album "Sun of Water, Sea of Light". Produced by Roger Miller (Mission of Burma) and Laurence Miller (ex Destroy All Monsters), the album was a Grammy Award candidate for "Best Alternative Music Album of 2006". In 2010, Smith played several dates with Doug Gillard (Guided By Voices/Death of Samantha) in the Doug Gillard Electric.
- Jon Coats (drums), currently of Canartic and proprietor of dank disk records.
- Valley of the Gwangi 7" (1986)
- Phantom Tollbooth E.P. (1986)
- One Way Conversation (1987) album cover designed by Dave's sister Jenny
- Power Toy (1988)
- Daylight in the Quiet Zone E.P. (1990)
- Beard of Lightning (2003)
- True, Chris. "Phantom Tollbooth". Allmusic. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Kenny, Glenn. "Phantom Tollbooth". Trouser Press. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Brigham, Dave. "Phantom Tollbooth + Robert Pollard = Beard of Lightning". Junk Media. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Leland, John (September 1986). "Singles". Spin 2 (6): 37. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Horn, Chris. "Phantom Heroics". Dusted. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
Band Website