Pharmaconomist (Danish: farmakonom) means expert in pharmaceuticals (Danish: lægemiddelkyndig). Pharmaconomists are a pharmaceutical professional group in Denmark (including Greenland and Faroe Islands) with a 3 year higher tertiary education. Each year about 180 pharmaconomy students graduate as pharmaconomists from Pharmakon—Danish College of Pharmacy Practice.
Other pharmaconomists teach pharmacy students and pharmaconomy students at colleges or universities — such as The Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences (University of Copenhagen) and Pharmakon—Danish College of Pharmacy Practice.
Some pharmaconomists do work as pharmaceutical consultants.
During his or her education programme at Pharmakon—Danish College of Pharmacy Practice, the pharmaconomist student studies human and animal anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, pharmaconomy, pharmacy practice, pharmaceutics, toxicology, pharmacognosy, clinical pharmacy, pharmacotherapy, pharmaceutical sciences, chemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry, biochemistry, biology, microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, cytology, medicine, veterinary medicine, zoology, diagnosis, medical prescription, pharmacy law, medical sociology, patient safety, health care, psychology, psychiatry, pedagogy, communication, information technology (IT), bioethics, medical ethics, safety, leadership, organization, logistics, economy, quality assurance (QA), sales and marketing.
The 3 year higher education corresponds to 180 ECTS points (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System).
What is the difference between a pharmaconomist and a pharmacist?
There are two different professional groups with pharmaceutical education in Denmark:
- Pharmaconomists (with a 3 year higher tertiary education)
- Pharmacists (with a 5 year higher tertiary education)
Due to his or her higher education as a health professional, the pharmaconomist has by law the same independent competence in all Danish pharmacies as a pharmacist — i.e. for example to dispense and check medical prescriptions, to counsel and advise patients/customers about the use of medicine/pharmaceuticals and to dispense, sell and provide information about medical prescriptions and about prescription medicine and over-the-counter medicine (OTC).
The only difference by law is that only a pharmacist may own a Danish pharmacy — i.e. become a pharmacy owner.
Like pharmacists, pharmaconomists can work as pharmacy managers and HR managers (or as chief pharmaconomists).
Translation into other languages
The Danish title farmakonom (pharmaconomist) comes from the Greek "pharmakon" (meaning "pharmaceuticals") and "nom" (meaning "expert in").
In Denmark a pharmaconomist is also referred to as lægemiddelkyndig (expert in pharmaceuticals). Lægemiddelkyndig comes from the Danish "lægemiddel" (meaning "pharmaceuticals") and "kyndig" (meaning "expert in").
- The title "pharmaconomist" in other languages:
- English: pharmaconomist (plural: pharmaconomists)
- Danish: farmakonom (plural: farmakonomer)
- Faroese: farmakonomur (plural: farmakonomar)
- French: pharmaconome (plural: pharmaconomes)
- German: Pharmakonom (plural: Pharmakonomen)
- Greenlandic: farmakonomit (plural: farmakonominullu)
- Italian: farmaconomista (plural: farmaconomisti)
- Spanish: farmaconomista (plural: farmaconomistas)
- Swedish: farmakonom (plural: farmakonomer)
- The title "expert in pharmaceuticals" in other languages:
- English: expert in pharmaceuticals (plural: experts in pharmaceuticals)
- Danish: lægemiddelkyndig (plural: lægemiddelkyndige)
- French: expert en medicaments (plural: experts en medicaments)
- German: Arzneimittelexperte (plural: Arzneimittelexperten)
- Italian: esperto in farmaci (plural: esperti in farmaci)
- Spanish: experto en fármacos (plural: expertos en fármacos)
- Swedish: läkemedelsexpert (plural: läkemedelsexperter)
- The academic discipline of "pharmaconomy" in other languages:
- English: pharmaconomy
- Danish: farmakonomi
- German: Pharmakonomie
- French: pharmaconomie
- Italian: farmaconomia
- Spanish: farmaconomía
- Swedish: farmakonomi
- Pharmakon—Danish College of Pharmacy Practice
- The Danish Association of Pharmaconomists
- The Danish Pharmaceutical Association
- Official Curriculum of the Danish Education of Pharmaconomists (September 2007)
- Official Executive Order on the Education of Pharmaconomists (June 2007)
- Information about pharmaconomists