California, United States
|Occupation||Photographer, writer and conceptual artist|
Phil America (born March 1983 in California) is an American photographer, writer and artist. His first book, Our Side Of The Tracks, was published in 2012 by Alias Press. In addition to his color photography work, he has written for numerous American and European magazines.
Early life and career
Born in Northern California and raised in both California and New York City, Phil America developed a passion for graffiti and illegal signage at an early age. After completing his college studies and receiving a B.A in Psychology and minor in Philosophy, Phil decides to dedicate himself to the more mainstream art of photography and writing while still holding on to his original passion for graffiti. In addition to his first book, Our Side Of The Tracks he also helped with the book, Ultimate Graffsportz 2, a book that covers the international trainwriting culture around the world. Both books were published by Alias Press in Belgium.
After living and working in Copenhagen, Milano, and Zurich for three years, he relocated to Thailand where he was a volunteer photography teacher at Dear Burma school while working on projects in Asia. Since then he has moved back to California to work on new projects back in his home country of America.
- Ultimate Graffsportz 2 (2011, Alias Press, ISBN 978-92-81710-10-7)
- Our Side Of The Tracks (2012, Alias Press, ISBN 978-92-81710-11-4)
- Villa In The Slums (Bangkok University Gallery, Bangkok, Thailand, 2013)
- Museum of Modern Art - Cullman Research Center, New York City, New York, United States of America, 2013
- White Ambition (Performance and sculptural project with Public Delivery looking into how categories such as class, gender and ethnicity amplify each other.)
- Above The Law (An on-going series of photo works documenting train and metro graffiti artists around the world.)
- Slum Vacation (Performance project and resulting sculptural, video and audio installation focusing on slum housing.)
- "About". Phil America. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "ALIAS PRESS - Shop — Our Side Of The Tracks". Aliaspress.bigcartel.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "ALIAS PRESS - Shop — Home". Aliaspress.bigcartel.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Incognito Magazine". Incognitomagazine.se. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Phloated Store | Incognito Magazine issue 13 | Online Store Powered by Storenvy". Phloatedstore.storenvy.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Bomber #35/36 | Lars". Ilovegraffiti.de. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- MKX technology SARL. "All city, Magazines, Magazines internationaux, Ego War n°6, 6.50 € TTC". Allcity.fr. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "ประวัติโครงการ DEAR BURMA". Tacdb-burmese.org. 2010-11-16. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Dear Burma". Phil America. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "ALIAS PRESS - Shop — Ultimate Graffsportz 2". Aliaspress.bigcartel.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Our Side Of The Tracks Preview". Mtn-World.Com. 2012-05-16. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Baral, Nabin (2011-01-06). "Photo10 Exhibition, Zurich". Demotix.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Mr America goes to Klong Toey | Bangkok Post: lifestyle". Bangkok Post. 2013-10-30. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "A View To A Kill". Towerartgallery.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- khz1 says: (2013-09-03). "Phil America At Montana Gallery Lisbon". Mtn-World.Com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "RAG". Richmond Art Gallery. 2013-10-01. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "2nd International Symposium on Language and Communication: Exploring novelties (ISLC)". Inlcs.org. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "White Ambition". Exchange Archive. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Name *. "Above the Law – Photos of Graffiti Artists by Phil America". Photographyblogger.net. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Phil America - Slum Vacation". Publicdelivery.org. 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2013-11-07.