California, United States
|Occupation||Photographer, writer and visual artist|
Phil America (born March 1983 in California) is an American artist, writer and photographer. His latest book, Our Side Of The Tracks, was published in 2012 by Alias Press. In addition to his color photography work, he has written for numerous American and European magazines.
In 2014 he helped organized and took part in Freedumb, the first art show to be shown on all continents within 3 days.
America was born in Northern California and raised between California and New York City. After completing his college studies and receiving a B.A in Psychology and minor in Philosophy, and after spending his youth traveling throughout the United States, he moved to Europe, living in Bern and Zurich in Switzerland and later in Milan, Italy and Copenhagen, Denmark. In 2011 he moved to Bangkok, Thailand and has since returned home to work in California.
America developed a passion for graffiti and [llegal signage at an early age. Phil dedicates himself to the more mainstream art of photography and writing while using other mediums of art such as sculpture and video installations. In addition to his most recent book, 'Our Side Of The Tracks he also published the book, Ultimate Graffsportz 2 with Alias Press, a book that covers the international trainwriting culture around the world. Both books were published Belgium.
After living and working in Copenhagen, Milano, and Zurich for three years, he relocated to Thailand where he was a volunteer photography teacher at Dear Burma school while working on projects in Asia. Since then he has moved back to California to work on new projects back in his home country of America.
- Ultimate Graffsportz 2 (2011, Alias Press, ISBN 978-92-81710-10-7)
- Our Side Of The Tracks (2012, Alias Press, ISBN 978-92-81710-11-4)
- Villa In The Slums, Bangkok University Gallery, Bangkok, Thailand, 2013
- Museum of Modern Art - Cullman Research Center, New York City, New York, United States of America, 2013
- White Ambition, Nowon Culture and Arts Center , Seoul, Korea
- Los Angeles Center For Digital Arts, Los Angeles, USA
- Museum of Almería, Almería, Spain
- Failure Of The American Dream (Performance and sculptural project with Public Delivery focused on Phil living in America's largest tent city.)
- White Ambition (Performance and sculptural project with Public Delivery looking into how categories such as class, gender and ethnicity amplify each other.)
- Above The Law (An on-going series of photo works documenting train and metro graffiti artists around the world.)
- Slum Vacation (Performance project and resulting sculptural, video and audio installation focusing on slum housing.)
- "About". Phil America. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "ALIAS PRESS - Shop — Our Side Of The Tracks". Aliaspress.bigcartel.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "ALIAS PRESS - Shop — Home". Aliaspress.bigcartel.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Incognito Magazine". Incognitomagazine.se. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Phloated Store | Incognito Magazine issue 13 | Online Store Powered by Storenvy". Phloatedstore.storenvy.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Bomber #35/36 | Lars". Ilovegraffiti.de. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- MKX technology SARL. "All city, Magazines, Magazines internationaux, Ego War n°6, 6.50 € TTC". Allcity.fr. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "ประวัติโครงการ DEAR BURMA". Tacdb-burmese.org. 2010-11-16. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Dear Burma". Phil America. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "ALIAS PRESS - Shop — Ultimate Graffsportz 2". Aliaspress.bigcartel.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Our Side Of The Tracks Preview". Mtn-World.Com. 2012-05-16. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Baral, Nabin (2011-01-06). "Photo10 Exhibition, Zurich". Demotix.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Mr America goes to Klong Toey | Bangkok Post: lifestyle". Bangkok Post. 2013-10-30. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "A View To A Kill". Towerartgallery.com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- khz1 says: (2013-09-03). "Phil America At Montana Gallery Lisbon". Mtn-World.Com. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "2nd International Symposium on Language and Communication: Exploring novelties (ISLC)". Inlcs.org. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "White Ambition". Exchange Archive. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- Name *. "Above the Law – Photos of Graffiti Artists by Phil America". Photographyblogger.net. Retrieved 2013-11-06.
- "Phil America - Slum Vacation". Publicdelivery.org. 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2013-11-07.