|Philip Eric Bourne|
Philip Eric Bourne
|Born||1953 (age 60–61)|
|Institutions||University of California, San Diego, Columbia University, University of Sheffield|
|Alma mater||Flinders University|
|Thesis||Crystal structure analyses : metal complexes of biological interest and the stereochemistry of substituted phonylbicyclooctanes (1979)|
|Known for||Unix for VMS Users (1990),
PLoS Computational Biology,
Protein Data Bank,
|Notable awards||Jim Gray e-Science award 2010,
Benjamin Franklin Award (Bioinformatics) 2009
Philip Eric Bourne (born 1953) is the Associate Vice Chancellor for Innovation and Industrial Alliances  and a professor of pharmacology at the Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD).
He is author of numerous scientific articles and book chapters and editor of the Structural Bioinformatics and Pharmacy Informatics textbooks and he is a strong supporter of open access literature and software. His diverse interests have spanned structural biology, medical informatics, information technology, structural bioinformatics, scholarly communication and pharmaceutical sciences.
Bourne was trained as a physical chemist in the mid to late 1970s and obtained his PhD in 1979 at the The Flinders University of South Australia. He moved to the University of Sheffield for his Post Doctoral Studies during 1979-1981, followed by a move to Columbia University, New York, in 1981. In 1995 he moved to University of California, San Diego, where he is currently a Professor in the Department of Pharmacology.
He is known for writing the book Unix for VMS Users (1990) and for being co-developer of the Combinatorial Extension algorithm for the three-dimensional alignment of protein structures, together with I. Shindyalov (1998). Since 1999 he is co-director of the Protein Data Bank. He was director of the ISCB (2002–2003). He is a fellow of the American Medical Informatics Association since 2002. He is founding Editor in Chief of PLoS Computational Biology (2005-). In 2007 he co-founded SciVee and has been elected Fellow of the AAAS under Pharmaceutical Sciences in 2011 and fellow of the ISCB in 2011. Bourne is an editor of the popular Ten Simple Rules series of editorials published in the PLoS Computational Biology journal. He is an advisor to the Hypothes.is project and Associate Director for Data Science at the National Institutes of Health.
Bourne has been married since 1983 to Roma Chalupa and they have two children: Scott Bourne (1985-) and Melanie Bourne (1997-). Bourne's interest include motorcycles, flying, and hiking.
- Bourne, Philip Eric (1979). Crystal structure analyses : metal complexes of biological interest and the stereochemistry of substituted phonylbicyclooctanes (PhD thesis). Flinders University.
- http://www.sdsc.edu/pb/ The Bourne lab web page
- http://www.sdsc.edu/~bourne/CV.pdf Philip E. Bourne Ph.D. CV
- Bourne, Philip E.; Weissig, Helga (2003). Structural Bioinformatics. John Wiley & Sons.
- Gu, Jenny; Bourne, Philip E. (March 2009). Structural Bioinformatics (2nd ed.). Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN 0-470-18105-2.
- Anderson, Philip O.; Bourne, Philip E. (December 2009). Pharmacy Informatics. CRC Press. ISBN 1-4200-7175-0.
- Clegg, G. A.; Stansfield, R. F. D.; Bourne, P. E.; Harrison, P. M. (1980). "Helix packing and subunit conformation in horse spleen apoferritin". Nature 288 (5788): 298–300. doi:10.1038/288298a0. PMID 7432529.
- Bourne, Phil E (1990). Unix for VMS Users. Digital Press Newton, MA, USA. ISBN 1-55558-034-3.
- Shindyalov, I. N.; Bourne, P. E. (1998). "Protein structure alignment by incremental combinatorial extension (CE) of the optimal path". Protein Engineering Design and Selection 11 (9): 739–747. doi:10.1093/protein/11.9.739. PMID 9796821.
- Berman, H. M.; Westbrook, J.; Feng, Z.; Gilliland, G.; Bhat, T.; Weissig, H.; Shindyalov, I.; Bourne, P. (2000). "The Protein Data Bank". Nucleic Acids Research 28 (1): 235–242. doi:10.1093/nar/28.1.235. PMC 102472. PMID 10592235.
- Greenes, R. A.; Madsen, E.; Miller, R. A. (2003). "American College of Medical Informatics Fellows and International Associates, 2002". Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 10 (3): 281–286. doi:10.1197/jamia.M1326.
- Fink, JL; Bourne, PE (2007). "Reinventing Scholarly Communication for the Electronic Age". CTWatch Quarterly 3 (3).
- "Dr. Phil Bourne elected AAAS Fellow under Pharmaceutical Sciences". Pharmacy.ucsd.edu. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "ISCB fellows".
- Ten Simple Rules
- Hypothes.is official website
- NIH Names Dr. Philip E. Bourne First Associate Director for Data Science
- "Philip E. Bourne wins Microsoft's 2010 Jim Gray eScience Award". Eurekalert.org. 2010-10-18. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "Benjamin Franklin Award". Bioinformatics.org. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "The Bourne Commendation: Open Access Evangelist Wins 2009 Benjamin Franklin Award". Bio-itworld.com. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- OFL | Philip Bourne | Travel Blog