|Batting style||Right-hand bat|
|Bowling style||Right-arm medium|
|Domestic team information|
|Source: Cricinfo, 7 March 2013|
Carlson was an all-rounder who played for Queensland between 1969–70 and 1980–81. He played two Test matches for Australia v England in 1978–79 Ashes series and five One Day Internationals against the same opponents. He was called up by Australia when most of their regular first-choice players were playing in World Series Cricket.
Carlson took 2 Test wickets and 2 ODI wickets.Graham Gooch was his most popular victim. He dismissed him once in Tests (50% of wickets) and he got him out twice in ODI (100%).
Former Australian selector John Benaud criticised the Test selection of Carlson, supposedly as an allrounder but whose "slow, gentle mediums" and batting ability at number six was not what Australian captain Graham Yallop needed.
Carlson made his first class debut for Queensland when he was only 18, as a batsman. He scored 85 in his second game and began bowling as a back up bowler. He scored his first century in 1971-72 - the same season saw him pick up his first five wicket haul.
For Queensland, he took five wickets in a first class game five times, with one ten wicket call. He also took a five wicket haul in a one day game. He is the only Queenslander to score a century and take ten wickets in a match. This feat was achieved against New South Wales in 1978-79, the season where Carlson hit his peak, scoring 545 runs and taking 31 wickets.
Carlson later went into property development. In his 40s he was diagnosed with diabetes.
- Benaud, J. "The second-rate eleven", Australian Cricket, March 1979, p. 9.
- Queensland v Victoria - Sheffield Shield 1969/70 - Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane on 30th, 31st January, 1st, 2nd February 1970 (4-day match)
- Queensland v New South Wales Sheffield Shield 1970/71 Venue - Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane on 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th October 1970
- Queensland v New South Wales Sheffield Shield 1971/72 Venue - Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane on 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th October 1971
- Queensland v South Australia Sheffield Shield 1971/72 Venue Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane on 21st, 22nd, 23rd January 1972
- "SPECIAL BOWLING PERFORMANCES FOR QUEENSLAND" Queensland Cricket accessed 14 November 2012
- "TOP FIRST CLASS ALL-ROUND EFFORTS", Queensland Cricket accessed 14 November 2012
- Queensland v New South Wales Sheffield Shield 1978/79 Venue Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane on 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th January 1979
- First-class Batting and Fielding in Each Season by Phil Carlson at Cricket Archive
- First-class Bowling in Each Season by Phil Carlson at Cricket Archive
- Lancashire League Matches played by Phil Carlson at Cricket Archive
- BATTING AND FIELDING FOR BACUP 1973 at Cricket Archive
- BOWLING FOR BACUP 1973 at Cricket Archive
- Annette Densham, "Philip meets diabetes challenge", The Senior News, April 2010 accessed 14 November 2012.
- Phil Carlson at Cricket Archive