Phil Davis (fighter)
|Born||Phil Kwabina Davis
September 25, 1984
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
|Other names||Mr. Wonderful|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
|Division||Light Heavyweight (205 lb)|
|Reach||79.0 in (201 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Chula Vista, California, United States|
|Team||Alliance MMA, Team Lloyd Irvin|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division I Wrestling|
|Years active||2008–present (MMA)|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||Penn State University|
|Notable school(s)||Harrisburg High School|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Phil Kwabina Davis  (born September 25, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist who currently fights as a Light Heavyweight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As of May 26, 2014, he is #6 in official UFC light heavyweight rankings.
Davis was born and raised in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania with his two older brothers, Jeffery and John. He began wrestling when he was in the eighth grade and then attended Harrisburg High School where he was a four-year team captain and letterman, with a 112-17 career record. Davis also lettered in tennis and cross-country. He then went on to wrestle for the Penn State Nittany Lions wrestling team, finishing in 5th place nationally in the 197 lb weight class as a junior in 2007  and then winning the (197 lbs) NCAA title in 2008. He finished with an overall wrestling record of 116–15 while at Penn State and was a four-time NCAA Division I All-American. After graduating from Penn State, he began training with the newly formed LionHeart MMA team, coached by Jeff Rockwell (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu), TJ Turner (boxing), Mark Miller, (kickboxing/Muay Thai), Matt Kocher (wrestling/S&C) and Ryan Gruhn (Muay Thai) in State College, Pennsylvania.
His primary training partners were Paul Bradley, Lou Armezzani and Jimy Hettes. He also trained with many visiting fighters such as Dave Herman, Shanon Slack, Dominick Cruz, Jon Jones and Cain Velasquez. When the LionHeart team disbanded in 2009, Davis moved to San Diego, California to continue his training with Alliance MMA. Davis earned his blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Lloyd Irvin in 2009. In 2009 he won the No Gi Grappling World Jiu-Jitsu Championship as a blue belt in the 221 lbs, Super Heavyweight division. Davis began his professional mixed martial arts career in 2008, compiling a record of 4–0 in regional promotions across the United States.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Davis faced Tim Boetsch on November 20, 2010 at UFC 123. He won by a modified kimura submission dubbed the "Mr. Wonderful." He was awarded $80,000 for Submission of the Night and received the Submission of the Year award from MMANews247.com.
Davis was expected to face Matt Hamill in Toronto at UFC 129. However, Matt Hamill was tapped as a replacement for Thiago Silva against Rampage Jackson at UFC 130. Davis was then offered a fight against Jason Brilz. Davis had the fight changed again and replaced an injured Tito Ortiz on short notice against Antônio Rogério Nogueira on March 26, 2011 UFC Fight Night 24 with just 6 weeks remaining until the fight. Davis defeated Nogueira via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).
Davis was expected to face former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Rashad Evans on August 6, 2011 at UFC 133, replacing the injured UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones. However, On July 12, Davis pulled out of the Evans bout with a knee injury and was replaced by Tito Ortiz.
Davis was expected to face Chad Griggs on August 4, 2012 at UFC on FOX 4. However, Griggs was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by promotional newcomer Wagner Prado. The bout was ruled a "No Contest" after an accidental eye poke by Davis rendered Prado unable to continue at 1:28 of round 1.
Davis was expected to face Forrest Griffin on December 29, 2012 at UFC 155. However, in early December, it was announced that Griffin pulled out of the bout, citing a knee injury and that Davis would not compete at the event.
Davis faced former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Lyoto Machida on August 3, 2013 at UFC 163. Davis defeated Machida via unanimous decision. Davis had takedowns near the end of rounds one and two, and had a small bit of GNP, which was the only significant offense. A sample of 13 of 13 selected media outlets scored the bout in favor of Machida, but ESPN scored for Davis. Many MMA commentators and bloggers scored the fight 30-27 in favor of Lyoto Machida. ESPN and the judges unanimously scored for Davis. Controversial UFC promoter Dana White tweeted shortly after the fight that he had Machida winning all three rounds, and later told Yahoo! Sports that "Machida definitely won" and "MMA judging sucks" and "to never leave it in the hands of the judges". Conversely, ESPN scored the bout for Davis.
Looking to further move up in the title scene, Davis faced the returning Anthony Johnson in the co-main event at UFC 172. Despite being a significant betting favorite, Davis lost all three rounds to Johnson, resulting in a unanimous decision loss.
Championships and achievements
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
- NCAA Division I All-American out of Pennsylvania State University (2005), (2006), (2007), (2008)
- NCAA Division I 197 lb – 7th place out of Pennsylvania State University (2005)
- NCAA Division I 197 lb – Runner-up out of Pennsylvania State University (2006)
- NCAA Division I 197 lb – 5th place out of Pennsylvania State University (2007)
- NCAA Division I 197 lb – Champion out of Pennsylvania State University (2008)
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Submission of the Night (One time)
- MMA News 247
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|15 matches||12 wins||2 losses|
|Glover Teixeira||UFC 179||October 25, 2014||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Loss||12–2 (1)||Anthony Johnson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 172||April 26, 2014||3||5:00||Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Win||12–1 (1)||Lyoto Machida||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 163||August 3, 2013||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||11–1 (1)||Vinny Magalhães||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 159||April 27, 2013||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||10–1 (1)||Wagner Prado||Submission (anaconda choke)||UFC 153||October 13, 2012||2||4:29||Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|NC||9–1 (1)||Wagner Prado||No Contest (accidental eye poke)||UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera||August 4, 2012||1||1:28||Los Angeles, California, United States||Eye poke from Davis rendered Prado unable to continue.|
|Loss||9–1||Rashad Evans||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Evans vs. Davis||January 28, 2012||5||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States||UFC Light Heavyweight title eliminator.|
|Win||9–0||Antônio Rogério Nogueira||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Davis||March 26, 2011||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Win||8–0||Tim Boetsch||Submission (Mr. Wonderful)||UFC 123||November 20, 2010||2||2:55||Auburn Hills, Michigan, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||7–0||Rodney Wallace||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 117||August 7, 2010||3||5:00||Oakland, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||Alexander Gustafsson||Submission (anaconda choke)||UFC 112||April 10, 2010||1||4:55||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Win||5–0||Brian Stann||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 109||February 6, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||4–0||David Baggett||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UCFC||June 27, 2009||1||3:37||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||3–0||Terry Cohens||TKO (punches)||UWC 6||April 25, 2009||1||4:29||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Win||2–0||Josh Green||KO (punch)||PFC 12||January 22, 2009||1||1:49||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Brett Chism||Decision (unanimous)||No Boundary||October 11, 2008||2||5:00||Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 172 Jones vs. Teixeira". UFC.com. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "UFC 109 Results". Boxing.nv.gov. 2010-02-06. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- Penn State University Official Athletic Site – Wrestling. Gopsusports.com. Retrieved on 2011-12-24.
- "NCAA champ Phil Davis". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2009-12-18.
- . Bjjlegends.com.[dead link]
- "UFC signs NCAA champ Phil Davis". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-12-17.
- "Phil Davis vs. Brian Stann added to UFC 109". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "UFC 112: Phil Davis vs Alexander Gustafsson on tap for April 10". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- "Phenom Davis gets a submission win to finish UFC 112 undercard". Yahoo! Sports. 2010-04-10. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "Phil Davis replaces injured Stanislav Nedkov, meets Rodney Wallace at UFC 117". mmajunkie.com. 2010-07-22.
- "Tim Boetsch vs. Phil Davis tapped for UFC 123". mmajunkie.com. 2010-09-04.
- "UFC 123 bonuses: Penn, Davis, Sotiropoulos and Lauzon earn $80,000 awards". mmajunkie.com. 2010-11-21. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "Phil Davis vs. Matt Hamill targeted for UFC 129 in Toronto". mmajunkie.com. January 7, 2011.
- "Jason Brilz and Phil Davis targeted for UFC 129 matchup". mmajunkie.com. February 16, 2011.
- "Tito Ortiz out, Phil Davis faces Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC Fight Night 24". mmajunkie.com. 2011-02-19. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Jon Jones injured, Phil Davis vs. Rashad Evans now targeted for UFC 133". mmajunkie.com. April 25, 2011.
- "UFC 133: Tito Ortiz accepts fight against Rashad Evans for Aug. 6 in Philadelphia". mmamania.com. July 13, 2011.
- UFC 140 briefly adds Phil Davis vs. Lyoto Machida, but UFC boss 'jumped gun' (Updated). MMAjunkie.com (2011-09-27). Retrieved on 2011-12-24.
- "Sources: Rashad Evans, Phil Davis set". espn.go.com.com. November 30, 2011. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- "Phil Davis vs. Chad Griggs added to August's UFC on FOX 4 event". mmajunkie.com. May 14, 2012, 2011.
- "Phil Davis now meets undefeated newcomer Wagner Prado at UFC on FOX 4". mmajunkie.com. May 30, 2012, 2011.
- "With Belcher's spinal fracture, Davis vs. Prado shifts to UFC 153 in Rio". mmajunkie.com. August 25, 2012.
- "Phil Davis meets Forrest Griffin at UFC 155 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. October 19, 2012.
- "With Forrest Griffin Out, Phil Davis Will Not Fight at UFC 155 and Move to Future Card". mmaweekly.com. December 7, 2012.
- "Davis vs. Magalhaes added to UFC 159". mmajunkie.com. January 29, 2013.
- Staff (2013-06-03). "Lyoto Machida encara Phil Davis no UFC Rio 4 (Brazilian Portuguese)". portaldovaletudo.com.br. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Staff (2013-06-03). "Phil Davis vs. Lyoto Machida Slated for UFC 163 in Rio". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Brian Hemminger (2013-08-04). "UFC 163 results recap: Phil Davis vs Lyoto Machida fight review and analysis". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- "MMA Decisions - UFC 163 Aldo vs Korean Zombie". mmadecisions.com. August 5, 2013.
- UFC 163 results: Dana White thinks Lyoto Machida 'definitely' defeated Phil Davis in Rio
- Lyoto Machida says 'positive thinking' key to coping with difficult loss
- "Phil Davis vs. Lyoto Machida vs. Phil Davis - UFC 163: Aldo vs. Korean Zombie - Fight Statistics". espn.go.com.com. 2013-08-04. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- Brent Brookhouse (2014-02-04). "Anthony Johnson returns to the UFC, will face Phil Davis at UFC 172". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-02-04.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-08-01). "Glover Teixeira vs. Phil Davis added to UFC 179 in Brazil". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-08-01.
- Phil Davis. wrestlinghalloffame.org
- "MMA News 247 Awards 2010". mmanews247.com. 2011-01-02.