Phil Emery (American football)
|Date of birth||January 16, 1959|
|Place of birth||Michigan|
|Alma mater||Wayne State|
|Team(s) as a coach/administrator|
Western New Mexico
Saginaw Valley State
Kansas City Chiefs
Phillip "Phil" Emery (born January 16, 1959) is the General Manager of the Chicago Bears. He is responsible for the salary cap and coordinates other facets of the football operations. After being hired, Bears chairman George McCaskey told him that though head coach Lovie Smith's contract runs through 2013, and that Smith will be head coach in 2012, Emery has the ability to make a change at the position. Smith was eventually fired on December 31 after the Bears missed the playoffs.
Emery was a scout for the Bears from 1998 to 2004, serving head coach Lovie Smith. After this, he was a director of scouting for the Atlanta Falcons from 2004 to 2008 and the Kansas City Chiefs from 2008 to 2011. Prior to the Bears job, he was a strength and conditioning coach at several colleges, including Central Michigan University (1981–1982), Western New Mexico University (1983), Georgetown College (1984–1985), Saginaw Valley State University (1983–1987), University of Tennessee (1987–1991), and the United States Naval Academy (1991–1998).
In 2012, Bears general manager Jerry Angelo was fired after 11 seasons with the team. During the team's search, Emery was one of the four candidates, and was one of the two finalists for the job, along with Arizona Cardinals director of pro personnel Jason Licht.
In Emery's first draft, he selected Shea McClellin, Alshon Jeffery, Brandon Hardin, Evan Rodriguez, Isaiah Frey, and Greg McCoy. Overall, critics had mixed reviews on Emery's debut draft, with the Chicago Sun-Times experts giving the draft an average "C" grade.
On January 16, the Bears announced the hiring of Montreal Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman as head coach. Trestman was widely regarded as Emery's pick due to his cerebral approach to the game and ability to improve the performance of the quarterbacks he has worked with.
In Emery's second draft, he selected G Kyle Long in the first round (20th overall), LB Jon Bostic (50th overall), LB Khaseem Greene (117th overall), OL Jordan Mills (163rd overall), DE Cornelius Washington (188th overall), and WR Marquess Wilson (236 overall). Reaction was mixed with ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. giving the whole of the Bears draft a C+ overall grade, stating the late round picks lacked value. However Jason Chilton rated the individual picks more highly in the later rounds.
- "Chicago Bears' Phil Emery free to decide on Lovie Smith after 2012 - ESPN Chicago". Espn.go.com. 2012-07-27. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- Seligman, Andrew (2012-12-31). "Bears fire coach Lovie Smith after 9 seasons". The Denver Post. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- Pompei, Dan. "Bio box: Phil Emery". Chicago Tribune.
- "Chicago Bears select Phil Emery as next general manager - ESPN Chicago". Espn.go.com. 2012-01-29. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- "Bears’ GM search down to Chiefs’ Phil Emery, Patriots’ Jason Licht - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "Chicago Bears GM Phil Emery makes bold first draft pick in Shea McClellin - ESPN Chicago". Espn.go.com. 2012-04-27. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- Jensen, Sean. "Alshon Jeffery was one of the Bears top 3 rated receivers - Inside the Bears". Blogs.suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "Bears sign Brandon Hardin; entire draft class under contract - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. 2012-05-15. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "Tight end Evan Rodriguez is playing more fullback these days - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "Late cornerback picks: Bears take Isaiah Frey, Greg McCoy - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- Jensen, Sean (2012-04-29). "Experts giving Bears get mostly C's for 2012 draft - Inside the Bears". Blogs.suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Wilson, Ryan. "Bears GM Phil Emery Explains Why Lovie Smith Was Fired". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
- "Bears hire Marc Trestman as next head coach". USAToday.com. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
- Householder, Sam. "Phil Emery: The smartest man in the room," WindyCityGridiron.com. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
- "2013 NFL draft - Cowboys have a different view of Long." ESPNChicago.com. Retrieved 2013-07-26.
- Schweickert, Steven. "Grading the 2013 Chicago Bears Draft". WindyCityGridiron.com. Retrieved 2013-07-26.