Goss graduated from Wabash College with a major in political science and a minor in speech rhetoric. After moving to Poland in 1991 as a volunteer with the WorldTeach program from Harvard University, he taught high school English in Malbork and later taught English and political science at the University of Gdańsk. Goss hosted one of the first live, bilingual radio programs in Poland at Radio ARnet, "ARnet Ameryka" and he later cooperated with the Polish funk band Blenders from 1995 to 1997. Other positions include working as a consultant for Ernst & Young while finishing MBA studies in Gdansk.
Goss returned to the US in 1998 and taught marketing, management, political science and speech at the University of Southern Indiana in Evansville, later moving on a doctoral program at the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University in Bloomington.
Goss returned to Poland as a Fascell Fellow at the US Embassy in Warsaw in 2002/2003. The following academic year saw Goss return to the University of Gdański, but he decided to move to Warsaw permanently in the summer of 2004 to begin a career in media.
Phil Goss has appeared as a guest on Europa da się lubić as well as other Polish television programs such as Kawa czy herbata and Dzień dobry TVN. In 2006 he started hosting programs and doing English-language voice overs on TVN Lingua. His programs include: "Spikerzy z licensją do nauczania", "Chatter Box", "Therapidiom", "Slanguage" i "Bobby the Snail". Goss also does voice over work for MTV Europe, VH1 Europe, and MTV Live HD, and appears in three productions for Telewizja Polska, "Londynczycy", "Jaka to melodia?" and "Barwy szczęścia". In addition, Goss has appeared in or done voice work for over twenty-five television commercials.
- Wkręceni, in the role of "Developer"; directed by Piotr Wereśniak. (2014)
- Pod mocnym aniołem, in the role of "Silvergold"; directed by Wojciech Smarzowski. (2014)
- Essential Killing, in the role of "Army Doctor"; directed by Jerzy Skolimowski. (2010)
- Milczenie jest złotem, in the role of "Bruno". (2010)
- Trick, in the role of "CIA Analyst". (2010)
- Randka w ciemno, in the role of "Englishman #3". (2010)
- Hindenburgh: The Untold Story, in the role of "Col. South Trimble [Jr.]". (2007)
- A Griot's Story, narrator. (2007)
- Surviving the Quake, in the role of "policeman". (2005)
- Lech Wałęsa: Bilans dwóch dekad, translation and film narration. (2004)
- Widawski, Maciej, and Phillip Goss. The Handbook of American English Pronunciation. Gdańsk, Poland: Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Gdańskiego, 1995.
- Widawski, Maciej, ed. Phillip Goss. Słownik Slangu i Potocznej Angielszczyzny. Gdańsk, Poland: Wydawnictwo L&L, 1997.
- Widawski, Maciej, ed. Phillip Goss. The Polish-American Dictionary of Slang and Colloquialisms. New York: Hippocrene, 1997.
- Jermakowicz, Ewa, and Phillip Goss. “Earnings and Stock Returns: Evidence from the Warsaw Stock Exchange.” International Business Practices, (2000). The Academy of Business Administration, pp. 202–207.
- Widawski, Maciej, ed. Phillip Goss. Słownik Angielszczyzny Brytyjskiej. Warsaw: Ex Libris, 2004.
- Widawski, Maciej, ed. Phillip Goss. Słownik Angielszczyzny Amerykańskiej. Warsaw: Ex Libris, 2004.
- Widawski, Maciej, and Małgorzata Kowalczyk, ed. Phillip Goss. Black Lexicon: Leksyka angielszczyzny afroamerykańskiej. Gdańsk, Poland: Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Gdańskiego, 2012.