Lester in 2014.
|Born||Philip Michael Lester
30 January 1987 
Rawtenstall, England, United Kingdom
|Known for||Vlogging, presenting|
|Home town||Rawtenstall, England, United Kingdom|
|Web alias(es)||AmazingPhil, LessAmazingPhil|
Philip Michael "Phil" Lester (born 30 January 1987) is an English YouTube vlogger and radio personality from Rawtenstall, Lancashire. He is known for presenting a Sunday night entertainment show for BBC Radio 1 with Dan Howell, from January 2013 until August 2014. Since September 2014, he has been a monthly presenter on the station's Internet Takeover slot.
Lester currently lives with friend and fellow video blogger Dan Howell in London. He completed a degree in English Language and Linguistics and then a post graduate in the Department of Theatre, Film and television, going on to obtain a Master of Arts in Video Postproduction with Specialisation in Visual Effects at the University of York.
At age 19, Lester posted his first YouTube video blog. Since then he has posted over 150 videos on his channel and as of May 2015 has over 2.56 million subscribers with over 197 million video views, reaching 1 million YouTube subscribers on 6 July 2013, and 2 million on 29 August 2014.
Lester also has a second channel, LessAmazingPhil, which has over half a million subscribers and almost 10 million views, as of October 2014. On September 12th 2014, Phil Lester and Dan Howell posted the first video on their new gaming YouTube channel, DanandPhilGAMES. On March 8th 2015 the channel hit 1 million subscribers.
Lester has also appeared alongside Howell in Benjamin Cook's twelve part web series Becoming YouTube, being interviewed on the various topics Cook covered.
The Super Amazing Project
Lester and Howell created a collaborative YouTube channel through network My Damn Channel, entitled The Super Amazing Project, in which the duo discussed and investigated paranormal events. Segments included "Viewers Spooky Happenings" where the audience of the show would send in "scary" items for the video bloggers to react to. In October 2014, Lester, together with his co-presenter Dan Howell, announced that the Super Amazing Project would be hosted by new presenters, found by channel owners My Damn Channel.
It was announced that as of October 2014 Lester and Howell would not carry on working on The Super Amazing Project to concentrate on their Radio 1 show.
The BBC announced that starting in January 2013, Lester and Howell would present the Sunday night entertainment and request show for national UK radio station BBC Radio 1. Both had occasionally worked with Radio 1 before, making videos for the station's YouTube channel and presenting two Christmas broadcasts.
The show was designed to be an interactive, audio-visual broadcast involving music videos made by viewers, physical challenges performed on air by Howell and Lester, and song requests from listeners. The show was streamed in video, live on the BBC Radio 1 website.
In August 2014, it was announced that the last Dan and Phil show would be broadcast on 24 August, with the duo moving to a different show on Monday nights, featuring other popular video bloggers. This show was then announced as being titled the Internet Takeover; it features Lester alongside Howell as the presenters for the first Monday evening of every month.
The Amazing Book Is Not On Fire
On March 26, 2015, Lester and Howell announced they had written a book to be released on October 8, 2015. It is available for pre-order on online retailer Amazon. In relation to this, the pair have also announced a tour travelling around the UK during October and November 2015, named "The Amazing Tour Is Not On Fire".
Lester was interviewed with other internet entertainers on Channel 4 News in October 2012 about the increased popularity of YouTube and video blogging as a profession. Lester also had a cameo role in Big Hero 6 as Technician 2, alongside his presenting partner, Dan Howell, who played Technician 1.
Awards and nominations
- "Twitter / AmazingPhil: Awr so many Happy Birthday's". Twitter.com. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "York student stars in confused.com advert". Nouse. 20 January 2009. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- "AmazingPhil v DanIsNotOnFire: Cadbury World Record Coin Stacking". YouTube. Cadbury. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "AmazingPhil". YouTube. 7 February 2006. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Lester, Phil. "Woke up to 2000,000 subscribers!!! THANK YOU!". Twitter. Phil Lester. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Dan Howell [danisnotonfire] (8 March 2015). "DanAndPhilGAMES has just hit 1,000,000 subscribers! https://www.youtube.com/user/DanAndPhilGAMES … this is awesome thank you to everybody enjoying our videos" (Tweet).
- "Anatomy of a YouTuber". YouTube. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- door The Super Amazing Project (26 September 2011). "The Super Amazing Project". YouTube. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "BBC Radio 1". YouTube. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Radio Times". Radio Times. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Radio 1 Greg James – 27/02/2013". BBC. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Cooper, Ben. "New youth presenters for Radio 1". BBC. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Daniel Ashby (9 November 2007). "Student star to appear on Weakest Link". The Yorker. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Katie Razzall (20 October 2012). "The rise of the vloggers – Channel 4 News". Channel4.com. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "UK cinema release of Big Hero 6". Disney UK. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "The Technicians". Disney. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "Dan and Phil win a Sony Radio Academy Award all suited up – pics". Sugarscape. 15 September 2011. Retrieved 13 October 2013.