||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (September 2012)|
|Birth name||Philip John Palmer|
9 September 1952 |
|Genres||Rock, blues-rock, jazz|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, musical director|
|Associated acts||Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Wishbone Ash, George Michael, Chris De Burgh, Robbie Williams, David Essex|
Philip 'Phil' John Palmer (born 9 September 1952, London, England) is a sideman and session guitarist in jazz and rock who has toured, recorded, and worked with numerous famous artists. He is most renowned for his work on the slide guitar.
Palmer has supported artists that include Lucio Battisti (album Una giornata uggiosa, 1980), Pet Shop Boys, Wishbone Ash (1986 touring), Joan Armatrading, Eric Clapton, Roger Daltrey, Iggy Pop Thomas Anders (1989), Bob Dylan, Tina Turner, Dire Straits (1992 tour), Pete Townshend (1993 and 2000 shows), Eros Ramazzotti (Tutte storie 1993), Alejandro Sanz (Alejandro Sanz 3 1995), (Paola e Chiara (1997), Pino Daniele, Chris de Burgh, Bryan Adams, Johnny Hallyday, David Knopfler, George Michael, Renato Zero, Claudio Baglioni, Massimo Di Cataldo, Melanie C, Robbie Williams and David Sylvian. He often works with producer Trevor Horn. In 1986, he worked as a studio musician on Alphaville's album Afternoons in Utopia.
In 1993, Palmer assembled a band called Spin 1ne 2wo, with Paul Carrack (vocals and keyboards), Steve Ferrone (drums), Rupert Hine (producer, keyboards) and Tony Levin (bass). They released one album, a self-titled project, made up of classic rock covers including songs by Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Blind Faith, Steely Dan and Bob Dylan.
Palmer was the musical director of and performed with the numerous artists (The Strat Pack) at the 50th anniversary celebration of the Fender Stratocaster guitar which was held in 2004 at Wembley Arena in London. According to himself, he appeared on over 500 Albums and over 5000 Songs.
- Tingen, Paul (April 2009). "Phil Palmer: Session guitar player". Performing-Musician.com. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "500 Albums, 5000 Songs - interview with Phil Palmer | Access2Music". Wp.access2music.de. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- Hinman, Doug (2004). All Day And All of the Night. p. 174
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Phil Palmer.|
- Wishbone Ash personnel
- Phil Palmer Biography – Whereseric.com
- Phil Palmer at the Internet Movie Database
- Phil Palmer Appears On Discography
- Interview with Phil Palmer, Apr 2009
- MasterClass & Concert in Niort (F)
- One of the world top session guitarists