Phil Roe (footballer)
|Full name||Philip Michael Roe|
|Date of birth||7 October 1991|
|Place of birth||Chelmsford, Essex, England|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Playing position||Left-back / Midfielder|
|2009–2010||→ Retford United (loan)|
|2010–2011||→ Retford United (loan)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:00, 31 March 2012 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Philip Michael "Phil" Roe (born 7 October 1991) is an English footballer who plays for Northern Premier League side Matlock Town as a defender. Born in Chelmsford, Essex, he was a Sheffield United youth team player, having two spells on loan at Retford United while with the Blades, but failed to progress to the first team and moved to Port Vale in summer 2011. He then joined Matlock Town in July 2012 before moving to Worksop Town in February 2013. He returned to Matlock Town in July 2014.
Roe graduated from the Sheffield United youth system to win two loan spells at Northern Premier League Premier Division club Retford United in 2009 and October 2010. However United's manager Micky Adams did not offer him a contract in summer 2011, leaving Roe without a club. Ironically, Adams was then sacked, only to sign Roe and his former youth team captain Kingsley James, after he was appointed manager at League Two side Port Vale in July 2011. Adams handed Roe his senior début on 22 November 2011, in an FA Cup First Round 1–0 defeat to non-league Grimsby Town at Blundell Park; Roe was an 87th minute substitute, replacing Adam Yates. Roe signed a new contract with the club the following month, designed to keep him at Vale Park until the end of the 2011–12 season – meanwhile fellow left-back Robert Kozluk was released, leaving Yates and Roe as the only full-back specialists at the club. Roe made his league début on 14 January, replacing Anthony Griffith 80 minutes into a 2–1 home defeat to AFC Wimbledon, and was then given his first start against Shrewsbury Town at the New Meadow on 27 March, but the match was abandoned after 64 minutes due to a fire caused by the failure of the floodlights; he nevertheless gave "an encouraging performance". Though his appearance did not count in official statistics, the yellow card he received for a lunge on Jermaine Grandison remained. With just three appearances all season, Roe was not offered a new contract.
Matlock Town and Worksop Town
Roe signed with Northern Premier League side Matlock Town in July 2012 as manager Mark Atkins looked to "add competition" to his squad. Roe later left the Gladiators in February 2013 to sign with Worksop Town. The "Tigers" ended the 2012–13 campaign in ninth place, eight places above Matlock. After "intense talks" with manager Mark Shaw, Roe agreed to stay on for the following season. Worksop finished fourth in 2013–14, losing to A.F.C. Fylde in the play-off semi-finals.
He re-signed with Matlock Town in July 2014.
|Season||Club||Division||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|2011–12||Port Vale||League Two||2||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||3||0|
- "Search 1984 to 2006 – Birth, Marriage and Death indexes". Find My Past. Retrieved 12 August 2010.
- "Profile: Phil Roe". Port Vale F.C. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- "Port Vale: New boy James delighted to be back with the man who fired and hired him". The Sentinel. 5 July 2011. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Port Vale agree deals with Sheffield United duo". BBC Sport. 1 July 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2011.
- "Grimsby 1 – 0 Port Vale". BBC Sport. 22 November 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- Questier, Joe (23 December 2011). "New Deals for McDonald and Roe". Port Vale F.C. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- "Port Vale 1 – 2 AFC Wimbledon". BBC Sport. 14 January 2012. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- "Shrewsbury's League Two match with Port Vale has been abandoned because of a floodlight failure". BBC Sport. 27 March 2012. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- "Port Vale: Match statistics". The Sentinel. 28 March 2012. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- Smith, Peter (31 March 2012). "Fire puts skids under Roe's big night, but he's eager for more". The Sentinel. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- "Contracts latest". Port vale F.C. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Mark Atkins bolsters his squad with two new signings for Matlock Town". Derby Telegraph. 28 July 2012. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- Ganly, Kerry (8 February 2013). "Twitter leak on Phil Roe's departure to Worksop Town annoys Matlock Town manager Mark Atkins". Derby Telegraph. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- "Phil Roe agrees terms to extend his stay". Worksop Town F.C. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- "Matlock boss excited by Stokes". Derbyshire Times. 16 July 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- Includes other competitive competitions, including the Football League Trophy.
- "Games played by Phil Roe in 2011/2012". Soccerbase. Retrieved 4 September 2011.