Phil Spector (film)
|Distributed by||HBO Films|
|Directed by||David Mamet|
|Written by||David Mamet|
|Music by||Marcelo Zarvos|
Phil Spector is a biographical television film directed and written by David Mamet. The film is based on the life of record producer, songwriter and musician Phil Spector, and was released by HBO Films on March 24, 2013, in United States. It stars Al Pacino as Phil Spector, Helen Mirren as defense attorney Linda Kenney Baden, and Jeffrey Tambor as Bruce Cutler. It focuses primarily on the relationship between Phil Spector and Linda Kenney Baden, his defense attorney during the first of his two murder trials for the 2003 death of Lana Clarkson in his California mansion.
- Al Pacino as Phil Spector
- Helen Mirren as Linda Kenney Baden
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Mock Prosecutor
- Jeffrey Tambor as Bruce Cutler
- John Pirruccello as Nick Stavros
- Clara Mamet as Paint Girl
- James Tolkan as Larry Fidler
- Natalia Nogulich as Giovonetta Ricci
- Matthew Rauch as Mike
The film has received mixed to positive reviews from critics. Review aggregator site Metacritic has given the film a score of 60 out of 100, signifying "mixed or average reviews".
Awards and nominations
The film was nominated for eleven Primetime Emmy Awards, including Outstanding Miniseries or Movie, Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie for Al Pacino, Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie for Helen Mirren, and Outstanding Directing and Writing for a Miniseries or Movie for David Mamet.
The film has also been nominated for two Screen Actors Guild Awards for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie (Pacino) and Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie (Mirren).
Pacino was also nominated for the Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Movie/Miniseries Actor at the 3rd Critics' Choice Television Awards.
- "Al Pacino's Phil Spector moment: HBO's film still deconstructed". guardian.co.uk. February 5, 2013. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Steve Pond. "HBO's 'Phil Spector' Issues Odd Disclaimer: 'We're Not Based on a True Story'". TheWrap.com. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Brian Lowry. "TV Review: ‘Phil Spector’". Variety. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- Lloyd Grove. "Phil Spector's Jersey Girl Lawyer: Meet the Real Linda Kenney Baden". thedailybeast.com. Retrieved June 5, 2013.