11 December 1969 |
Littlebourne, Kent, United Kingdom
Co-presenter of Channel 4's Location, Location, Location and Relocation, Relocation
Chief executive of Garrington Home Finders
Phil Spencer (born 11 December 1969) is a British media personality, journalist and businessman, who appears with Kirstie Allsopp in a variety of home-buying programs on Channel 4 including Location, Location, Location and Relocation, Relocation. Spencer also writes for several UK publications, including GQ, The Sunday Times and Lusso Magazine. In 2011 he worked as a presenter on the holiday programme Vacation, Vacation, Vacation and a solo property show, Phil Spencer - Secret Agent for Channel 4. He is also a brand ambassador for Rated people.
Phil Spencer was the original founder of Garrington Home Finders Ltd, a property search company he created in 1996. In 2008, Garrington was affected by the sharp down-turn in the property market and Spencer was forced to look at how to address the effect this had on his business. As a result the country property search part of the business was sold via a management buyout. Through this sale Garrington Country Ltd was formed and operated alongside Garrington Home Finders Ltd.
However, the continuing fall in housing transactions forced Spencer to take the final decision to conclude Garrington Home Finders Ltd and went into administration. At this point Garrington Country Ltd then purchased full rights to the intellectual property and some assets of the old business and has carried on trading throughout the UK.
Spencer has maintained his reputation as a UK property expert and in early 2010, Spencer partnered with co-host Kirstie Allsopp and launched a new independent production company called ‘Raise the Roof’, with colleagues from IWC Media.
Spencer has also continued his writing career and in April 2010 his book "Adding Value to Your Home" was published.
On 2 January 2012, he presented a special edition of The Million Pound Drop Live as part of Channel 4's 'Mash Up'. Spencer returned on 15 June 2012, with Kirstie Allsopp, to play the game for their chosen charities. In November 2012 it was announced that Spencer would be the host of The Common Denominator, on Channel 4.
Spencer grew up in Littlebourne, Kent and now lives in the Tonsleys area of Wandsworth with his Australian wife, Fiona, and their two sons, Jake and Ben. He is an Ambassador for SOS Children's Villages and Broadway, a London homelessness charity. He is also an active supporter of the Countryside Alliance, appearing in their advertisements and magazine to promote countryside shooting.
- Phil Spencer's biography on Channel4.com
- "Press & Editorial". Garrington Home Finders. Retrieved 27 September 2009.
- School details - Uppingham Guide to Independent Schools
- Phil Spencer's biography TV Lives
- London's Human Property Scouts The Property Scout, 17 August 2010
- Deans, Jason (15 March 2010). "Kirstie Allsopp and Phil Spencer set up independent production company". guardian.co.uk.
- Markosky, Cheryl (12 April 2010). "Phil Spencer: how to add value to your home". The Telegraph.
- "Channel 4 Commissions The Common Denominator". Endemol Distribution News. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "SOS Children's Celebrity Supporters". SOS Children's Villages. Retrieved 27 September 2009.
- No tenant? What about the homeless? The Independent, 17 October 2010
- Real Lettings, Real Lives Broadway Homelessness and Support, 13 October 2010
- Countryside Alliance Update Countryside Alliance, Autumn 2010