Phil Wickham in 2008
|Birth name||Philip David Wickham|
|Born||April 5, 1984|
|Origin||San Diego, California, U.S.|
|Genres||CCM Britpop worship music|
|Instruments||Vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar|
Philip David "Phil" Wickham (born April 5, 1984) is a Contemporary Christian vocalist/songwriter and guitarist from San Diego, California. Wickham has released seven CDs, Give You My World in 2003, a self-titled album in 2006, Cannons in 2007, Singalong in 2008, Heaven & Earth in 2009, Response in 2011, and Singalong 2 in 2012, The Ascension in 2013. He has also led worship at Soul Survivor.
Philip was raised in a Christian home, the second of three children (brother Evan, sister Jillian), and after feeling the need to "make his faith his own" he began leading worship for his youth group at 13 years of age. He graduated from Calvary Christian School in Vista, California. Wickham's father is currently a worship leader, and both of his parents were at one time members of Jesus movement band Parable. His older brother Evan Wickham is also a musician who used to serve at Calvary Chapel in Vista, and now currently serves at A Jesus Church-Westside, Portland, OR. His parents, John and Lisa, encouraged Wickham to learn popular praise songs and to write his own. Wickham began his full-time music career by touring California and recording his first album. On November 2, 2008, Wickham married his longtime girlfriend, Mallory Plotnik. They have two daughters.
After releasing his first album, Give You My World in 2003, Wickham signed with Simple Records. Wickham released his self-titled label debut in 2006. Wickham's second release with Simple/INO Records, Cannons, was released in 2007. Cannons was partly inspired by cannon explosions and C.S. Lewis's book, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader from The Chronicles of Narnia series. Wickham stated in an interview with ChristianityToday.com that the album is "about how the universe is exploding with the glory of God, and how we are compelled to join in with its song." The 10th track from Cannons, "Jesus Lord of Heaven", has been translated into seven different languages. On August 8, 2008 Wickham released a live worship album titled Singalong, recorded at Solid Rock Church Portland, Oregon with 3000 fans present. The album was released as a free download, only available from his website, and received over 8,000 downloads within a week of being released. After the release of his singalong album, his self-titled debut climbed to No. 25 on iTunes Top Christian Albums chart (2 years after its initial release). On October 30, 2012, Phil Wickham released his second live acoustic album, Singalong 2.
Heaven and Earth, was released on November 17.
Wickham's Christmas album Songs for Christmas was released as a digital download only available on his website on October 29, 2010. On November 17, 2010, Wickham posted "Just had two great days of recording for the next recording. It will be hard to wait for all the months to go by to share it with you!" Response was released on October 4, 2011 while The Ascension was released on September 24, 2013.
|2009||Heaven & Earth|
- Wickham, Philip David. "Songwriter/Composer: WICKHAM PHILIP DAVID". Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI). Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- Adriana Janovich. "Creation Fest much more than music". Yakima Herald-Republic. Retrieved October 1, 2008.
- Russ Breimeier. "Phil Wickham - Cannons". Christianity Today. Retrieved October 1, 2008.
- "Jesusfreakhideout.com: Phil Wickham Discography, Phil Wickham Lyrics". Retrieved October 1, 2008.
- "My Happy Birthday". Retrieved October 1, 2008.
- Jackie A. Chapman. "Phil Wickham, 01/08 - Interviews". Christianity Today.
- Russ Breimeir. "Phil Wickham - Phil Wickham". Christianity Today. Archived from the original on July 10, 2008. Retrieved October 1, 2008.
- David Goodman. "Jesusfreakhideout.com: Phil Wickham, "Cannons" review". Retrieved October 1, 2008.
- "Phil Wickham's Live Worship Album Receives Over 8,000 Downloads". Retrieved October 1, 2008.
- "Tour Dates". Retrieved October 1, 2008.
- John DiBiase. "The JfH Concert Reviews and Dates: Audio Adrenaline, Aaron Shust The Coming Up To Breathe Tour Spring 2007". Retrieved October 1, 2008.
- "Interview - Phil Wickham". Christian Today. Retrieved October 1, 2008.