|Based in||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
Philadelphia (usually called "Philadelphia magazine" and often[when?] incorrectly written as "Philadelphia Magazine" or referred to by the nickname "Phillymag") is a regional monthly magazine published in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by the Lipson family of Philadelphia and its company, Metrocorp.
One of the oldest magazines of its kind, it was first published in 1908 by the Trades League of Philadelphia. S. Arthur Lipson bought the paper in 1946.
Coverage includes Philadelphia and the surrounding counties of Montgomery, Chester, Delaware and Bucks County, Pennsylvania, as well as Camden and Burlington counties in New Jersey. During summer, coverage expands to include vacation communities along the Jersey shore.
The magazine has been the recipient of the National Magazine Award in various categories in 1970, 1972, 1977, 1982, 1993, and 1994.
Key staff (as of April 2014 ) includes:
- D. Herbert Lipson, Executive Chairman
- David H. Lipson, Jr., Chairman and CEO
- Frederick B. Waechter, Jr., President and Chief Operating Officer
- Ashley Patterson, Publisher
- Tom McGrath, Executive Vice President, Content and Strategy
- Kathy Kramitz, Chief Financial Officer
Like other city and regional magazines, sections cover dining, entertainment, and special events. Feature articles cover the range of these topics, along with local and regional politics. Special (generally annual) features include "The Best of Philly" Awards, with summary top ratings of a panoply of products, services, stores, shops and community features; and "Top Doctors", listing top-rated physicians by specialty; and "50 Best Restaurants." It is a member of the City and Regional Magazine Association (CRMA).
In March 2010 the magazine launched the daily news and opinion site The Philly Post. In December 2010 it acquired the popular Philadelphia food blog Foobooz, and in 2012 acquired Tim McManus's and Sheil Kapadia's Birds 24/7. The name Philly Post was retired in a September 2013 website redesign, and the site simply published daily news and opinion as Philadelphia magazine.
Alumni staff includes Lisa DePaulo, Andrew Corsello, Jason Fagone, Christopher McDougall, Maximillian Potter, Matthew Teague, Stephen Rodrick, Eric Konigsberg, Karen Abbott, Stephen Fried, Sasha Issenberg, Loren Feldman, Benjamin Wallace, Bill Tonelli, A.J. Daulerio, Maureen Tkacik, Jessica Pressler, Michael Callahan and Ben Yagoda.
- "CRMA Magazines". City and Regional Magazine Association. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- Philadelphia magazine issue archive, May 2005
- Barnett, Susan (May 11, 2007). "Local Woman Graces Philly Magazine Totally Nude". KYW-TV (CBS). Archived from the original on June 15, 2007. Retrieved 2013-03-24.
4. Correction: In December 2010 Philadelphia Magazine acquired the Philadelphia food blog Foobooz, it is not what a business person would consider "popular" as claimed on this page. In fact, per reference Foobooz has 50 unique visitors a day in a Greater Metro area of 6.1 million persons. The website blog is only valued by siteprice.com at $4,000. In addition Foobooz Boston was cancelled as not worth expansion. Based on cited ad revenues the blog loses money and appears a failed acquisition of little worth.